Flash Drive does not show in Finder Sidebar

krs

Reaction score
When new members find their way to our Forums, they might be surprised and even comforted to find that, whilst they can count on excellent support, it is from a group of people who recognise the faults & pitfalls in an OS as well as the emphasising the overwhelming advantages of that OS.

Neither fanboys nor dissidents.

Ian

I agree...and that's how I like it.

As to
My only objection has been that sometimes it seems Apple expects users to read their (Apple’s) mind. (Windows’ design, by comparison, seems often to be mindless.) The “hide/show” issue that I raised in this thread is an example.
I use Windows in the Office and Macs at home.
In the past, Apple and I seem to think pretty much alike - things on the Mac always did what I expected them to do.
But with the last few macOS updates, even just to ElCapitan, that has changed quite a bit.
I also see more bugs in the macOS than ever before.
With Windows, Microsoft and I were on different planets. Windows almost always never did what I expected it to do or I had to hunt all over trying to find the function I wanted.
I also don't like the visual presentation of the Windows UI, which I'm sure doesn't help my perception of the product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I also see more bugs in the macOS than ever before.

Just curious, @krs, what bugs? Not that macOS is perfect, but I can't think of a true software failure in the system in a long time. I know there must be bugs, as Apple keeps releasing updates to fix them, but my impression is certainly not that there are "more" bugs than before...at least not that I've seen.

krs

Reaction score
Well, also probably depends what one calls a "bug"

The things that got me annoyed recently (on ElCapitan) were:
1. USB 3.0 device is not being recognized when plugged in.
Happens with different brands of flash drives, all brand names, also happens with USB 3.0 external drives.
But it only happens every few weeks - so is not repeatable at will which probably makes a fix difficult.

2. The "File Find" function in the Finder is terrible.
It consistently tells me there is no such file or folder on the Mac when I put in the search term, even if it is the complete and accurate name of the item.
When I use "Find Any File", that finds that file/folder pretty much immediately.
And these are folders and files that are maybe one level or at most two levels down - not buried in the bowels of the Mac.
Again, I have no clue why the Mac can't find these files.

3. Then some MacOS applications almost always crash right after performing their function. "Grab" is doing that pretty consistently but I think only when I use "Capture Selection" (which is my normal mode)

These are macOS issues that just came up yesterday and today. There are others - I thought we actually started to keep a list on the forum with workarounds.
There are others, but I don't keep a list myself

I never had these issues on SnowLeopard - I actually remember SnowLeopard running much better and faster than Leopard and Apple's comment about that OS at the time was that it was basically a 'clean-up and fix-up' release and didn't introduce any significant new features.
Now new features seem to be the driving force behind new releases with bug fixes secondary unless the Mac community is screaming.
Workaround is to restart the Mac, that "fixes" that every time and then the Mac is good for a few weeks (always recognizes USB 3.0 drive when plugged in) until it happens again.
USB 2.0 flash drives I think were always OK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well, also probably depends what one calls a "bug"

I would suggest Apple's OS problem, or user's compaints with the macOS, is more to do with dropping of features rather than actual "bugs" that has been going on for some time, and the user comments I was recently reading is typical of macOS user's complaints and it seems to be getting worse the last few years.

Have a read here:
How to Open All Images Into One Window in Preview for Mac

And those seem to be pretty legitimate complaints and also supports why I mainly use Mavericks that still has most of the "features" I need still operating.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@krs I've had good luck with the search function in Finder. Are the files/folders you're looking for in hidden folders (such as the user's library folder)?

krs

Reaction score
No, the last few times the files were in a folder that was on the desktop.
These were files I saved there only a month or so ago, so I knew they were on the Mac.
Initially I thought they could not be found because I didn't use the exact search terms, ie name of the file.
But even after I found them using 'FindAnyFile' and I verified the search term was correct, I tried to find the file again using 'File Find' in the Finder and the search still came up empty.

Beats me why - these files and their location are as ordinary as they come.
Happened to me several times just recently.
Mind you, more often than not the Mac will find the file, but still, not finding a file that is on a desktop folder is rather odd.
I don't recall that ever happening on the older macOSs I was using - in fact I never even knew about 'FindAnyFile' until recently after I joined this forum.
Never had a need for it because the Mac's find capability worked just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@krs, I've seen the USB not mount issue, but that's been around since forever, so not new. I think it's the cheaper USB thumb drives that have the issue but it happens from time to time. I usually fix it by unplugging the device and then plugging it back in. Also helps to be in Finder when I have to do that. I think some of the applications don't play nice with the USB ports.

As Sly said, Search in Finder works for me really well. Don't know what to tell you. Spotlight is not so handy, but again, that's not new, it's been that way forever. EasyFind and FAF are both pretty good.

Any bug with "Grab" or any other application is not a problem with the OS, it's with the application. Not fair to bust Apple's chops for an application failure.

What makes we want to laugh is your comment, "Now new features seem to be the driving force behind new releases with bug fixes secondary unless the Mac community is screaming." When SL came out Apple caught a metric crap-ton of abuse for an upgrade with no new features. Now you are complaining about the fact that upgrades have new features. No way for Apple to win that one. :)

Apple makes mistakes, for sure, but when one considers the alternatives, it's not bad. My daughter has to work with Win10 and there is an update every day. Every. Single. Day!

krs

Reaction score
@krs, I've seen the USB not mount issue, but that's been around since forever, so not new. I think it's the cheaper USB thumb drives that have the issue but it happens from time to time. I usually fix it by unplugging the device and then plugging it back in. Also helps to be in Finder when I have to do that. I think some of the applications don't play nice with the USB ports.
I don't think that is the same problem.
I have had the odd occasion where the USB drive won't mount and unplugging it and plugging it in again solves the problem. I don't even consider that an issue.
The problem I'm talking about only happens with USB 3.0, not USB 2.0, and once it happens, one can plug that USB 3.0 drive in as often as one wishes and it won't come up.
Only fix I have found is to reboot the Mac.

As Sly said, Search in Finder works for me really well. Don't know what to tell you. Spotlight is not so handy, but again, that's not new, it's been that way forever. EasyFind and FAF are both pretty good.
This problem seems "new" to me, but that also depends where one comes from.
Before ElCapitan, everyone in the family was using SnowLeopard and I can't remember ever having that problem there.
If it happened at all on SL, it certainly didn't happen nearly as much as now since I never felt I had to look for an alternative way to find items on the Mac.

Any bug with "Grab" or any other application is not a problem with the OS, it's with the application. Not fair to bust Apple's chops for an application failure.
What makes we want to laugh is your comment, "Now new features seem to be the driving force behind new releases with bug fixes secondary unless the Mac community is screaming." When SL came out Apple caught a metric crap-ton of abuse for an upgrade with no new features. Now you are complaining about the fact that upgrades have new features. No way for Apple to win that one. :)
I included "Grab" since it came with the OS.
But it's also an issue that I had never seen until I was forced to move to ElCapitan from SnowLeopard.
It's another problem that doesn't happen every time, but at least 50% of the time. But it's also mostly an annoyance since once the item I 'grabbed' is saved, I'm done with that task, at least for a while.
And it's not that I don't want any new features, although sometimes "new features" seem to be a step back. I just think Apple NOW, and I emphasize "now", doesn't spend enough resources to fix bugs.

Apple makes mistakes, for sure, but when one considers the alternatives, it's not bad. My daughter has to work with Win10 and there is an update every day. Every. Single. Day!

Yeah, if everyone in my family were running Windows and would expect me to keep their computer running - that would drive me nuts - I just think Apple could do better.
They have in the past - at least that is my perception.
I'm still trying to decide which macOS I should move everyone to...and then stay on that for a while.
The move from SnowLeopard to ElCapitan was a "forced" one because webinar software everyone was using, was suddenly no longer supported on SL.
I thought HS might be a good target macOS and I migrated one Mac to that for testing, but then I keep reading about problems that people have with HS and probably no chance of Apple fixing those. So right now we will probably just stay on ElCapitan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@krs, Sorry, I thought you were on something more current than ElCap. ElCap had lots of issues that got fixed in more recent upgrades. I'm on Mojave and it works very well. Grab is replaced with Screenshot, which seems to work well.

krs

Reaction score
Maybe I should consider Mojave as my "goto and stay on" OS - or even Catalina

The oldest Mac I still want to run on my "goto" OS is a late 2012 Mini, all the other Macs are much newer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe I should consider Mojave as my "goto and stay on" OS - or even Catalina

Lots of folks are going to be staying with Mojave for awhile. The fact that Catalina will not run 32 bit apps is a real deal breaker for most folks. I don't know of many folks who do not have at least one 32 bit app that they want to keep.

Considering Mojave as your goto is probably a good choice. Catalina, not so much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.