First post on my macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook. 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM :D
I finally received it today after an agonising wait, and wow! I was amazed at how simple the initial set up was. It took just one window to select which network I'd like to connect and that was it. I remember spending at least 1 hour trying to get the PC to recognise the same network. Didn't purchase .mac but might do later on.

Don't laugh, but one thing I noticed which impressed me was that all the texts look better for some reason. They look like they are on a pdf file. cool.

The screen seems to me to be a little bit dark. Is there a way to increase the brightness? Can't seem to find it.

Heh I'm gonna have a little play around on it now! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
welcome! Very nice setup you have there.. I am at work using a PC, so forgive my possible wrong information.. To turn up and down your brightness it should be F6 or F7. If its not F6 or F7 its one of the F keys. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Close, but no cigar :p

It's the F1 and F2 keys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Enjoy your new MacBook! Be sure to browse the forum for lots of cool little things your new toy can do! One of my faves is holding down ctrl and scrolling to zoom in and out of things :D simple minds...;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Congrats! on your new purchase.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Close, but no cigar :p

It's the F1 and F2 keys

F4-F5 is Volume up and down. Congrats on the new Black Mac Book. Enjoy. Sounds like you already are!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
Congrats and good luck!!! They are really beautiful machines.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh lol yeah thanks for that. Duh to myself :p Control and scroll zooming is awesome I would have never found it on my own thanks! Countless times I had to copy and paste into paint to zoom into stuff on my now-old PC... I haven't got much time to do stuff today but tomorrow I'll download more stuff!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
what u said about the PDF-looking-ness was actually right, mac OS X is completely pdf based...
and speaking of copy'n and paste'n, apple-c and apple-v are really quick ways to do this...
and remember to apple-Q ur applications!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Welcome and enjoy....F1 and F2 on a MBP

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could someone explain to me what widgets are and where I could get them from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
I just bought a similar setup. Think you love it now? Youll love it even more as time goes on!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
"what are widgets?"
well they are basically mini-apps, designed for one specific purpose, that float on a transparent layer called the dashboard, which is always ready in a dash. (by pressing F12)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last night I managed to download Adium, NeoOffice, Quicksilver, Handbrake, MacTheRipper, StuffItExpander and Flip4Mac. I also installed my Line 6 Toneport software on it. I liked how all the downloaded apps just tell you to drag the file to the applications folder with not much configurations to do!

One problem though, my NeoOffice only had the word-alike program. Where's all the others? Did I install it wrong?

Few questions:
Is there an easier way of changing volume than going thru prefs and going to sound?
Is there a good way to organise windows? I use F9 but there's gotta be a better way or so I hope. You can't see what windows you have open if they are overlapped until you press F9; I opened things twice by accident many times last night.
How do I set my toneport to be an input source for garageband?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
For organizing open windows use the expose feature. I believe there are volume up and volume down buttons on the top right hand side of the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
what u said about the PDF-looking-ness was actually right, mac OS X is completely pdf based...
and speaking of copy'n and paste'n, apple-c and apple-v are really quick ways to do this...
and remember to apple-Q ur applications!

It's not based on Unix/Linux? :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Apple OSX is based on Unix which WONDERFUL and thats why its so stable ;D

For the adjusting volume question.

2 Options u got:

1. ctrl+ F4(Volume Down)/ F5(Volume Up) and F3 for Mute.

2. There is a Speaker Icon on the top of the screen, One click on it will show u the volume control bar.

Enjoy ur MacBook and a Recent Switcher my self I have Black MacBook and am Loving it :D

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.