First Mac computer arrived today: DOA

Reaction score
So my first Mac computer arrived today, a new 27" 5k iMac, mail-ordered from an authorized dealer.

It appears to be DOA. When you power it up, it chimes, but the screen remains blank. The fans run at full speed. After a while it starts talking about doing a voice-mode setup.

Is this normal? I assume not but I ask, just in case.

So far I am not pleased, not by a long shot. $3,500 is a lot of money for a broken computer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're right. That's a lot of money for a computer that doesn't work. (No, it's not normal.) Sorry for your trouble but it is under warranty so send it back and have them send you another. Who did you purchase it from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion if you have to mail order, do it only with Apple. Depending where you are, ring the Apple Service number in the paperworkand I have no doubt they will ask you to send it back directly to Apple and eplace it.

Do not send it to the resller to be repaired. You want a brand new machine.

OP
G
Reaction score
I bought it from B and H Photo, normally a reputable seller. There's an Apple store down the street. We'll see what support says in the morning (they're off for the holiday).

Thanks for the confirmation this is not normal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I shop from B&H in New York. They are a reputable authorized Apple dealer and will definitely make it good. Make sure you contact them early on Friday as they are off on Saturdays (Sabbath Day). The Apple Store will likely not give you a new iMac since you didn't purchase it direct from Apple. I don't know what the problem is with it and it may be something very simple an Apple Store genius can resolve, but if it isn't, they will direct you to return it to B&H. So you might want to think about that first. I would contact B&H first thing Friday morning and see what they say before doing anything else.

C

chas_m

I just wanted to second Charlie on this -- B&H are a very reputable dealer, I'm sure they will make that right for you. Sorry you had the issue.

Reaction score
I'd blame "shipping issue" before I blame Apple or B&H. By "issue" I don't place blame on the shipper per se, I just indicate that in the process of being shipped it may have been in a situation where it was under forces that potentially did internal damage. Turbulence on the plane, a pothole the delivery driver didn't see, etc.

In the hundreds of Macs I've dealt with over the last few years at my job, the number of "problem out of the box" ones is .. one? And Apple replaced it immediately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
I too highly recommend B&H. You will be well taken care of. That is what the warranty is for, but still a bummer. I would rather it break now then later.

OP
G
Reaction score
B&H said they would replace it. It went back today. I'll report back here as things progress.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for the report. Keep us posted as that is not normal at all. B&H is a great place. Glad they are making it right.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B&H said they would replace it. It went back today. I'll report back here as things progress.

Good deal. Glad you took our advice and contacted B&H instead of lugging it to the Apple store. Believe me, it's no fun carrying an iMac to the genius bar. Been there, done that. ;) Let us know when you get your new machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Remember, one rotten Apple doesn't spoil the whole Company, in spite of the old saying to the contrary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I have purchased 6 Macs overtime (4 new and two refurbs) through the online Apple Store. No problems with any of them. Sorry for your experience, but I guess it is always possible for a bad unit to slip through in any system.

OP
G
Reaction score
A follow-up: B&H replaced the unit with a new one, no problem. The replacement is working fine.

As an aside, I installed Win X for the first time in a Parallels VM. I remain pleased with my decision to switch to Mac.
;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Congrats. Overall it sounds like a "normal":

- product was received damaged
- seller was contacted
- product was returned
- buyer received 2nd product in working condition:)

Definitely sounds like B&H continues to be a reliable place to purchase from.:)

Congrats again. Stuff happens. Thanks for the update.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Nice one. Glad they sorted it out for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.