• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

First Look at new 12-inch Retina MacBook

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To me, if feels like we are paying for the development process of this MB, because of the design, battery, and the small everything !!! It comes across wrong to me.

Most likely this is exactly what's going on. Unfortunately with current technology…the cost of "moving forward" (thinner & lighter) is getting more & more expensive. Thus it's getting much more expensive…to move forward a teeny bit. Which I'm sure most folks have heard of the law of diminishing returns.

This is why at $1299 the 13" rMBP (manufactured using what might be considered "traditional" technology)…delivers so much more. But the new MacBook at $1299…delivers less due to the cost of making it thinner & lighter.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I certainly won't apologise for my taste and I earn my money, so I'll spend it as I please - as will many others that have similar needs and desires to mine.

Of course! I'd never attack your choices on how to spend your hard earned money. Of course not! Us engineers like to eat you know! :D

It just can't do what *I* need a machine to actually, well.. do.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I personally think this is a brilliant device, both in function and design. For the market it is aimed at I think it will sell like hotcakes. It is in every way an improvement on the MBA especially the minimum storage of 256 Gb. I always thought 128 Gb was just a bit to small for a travel companion. It combines all of the best features one could want for a truly portable computer. And amazingly, 17% larger keyboard keys on a smaller laptop. For us barely touch typists that's terrific.
Apple I think you may have got it 99% right on this one.;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It is in every way an improvement on the MBA especially the minimum storage of 256 Gb.
Except for having a slower processor, a smaller screen and a higher price tag of course. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As I've said before, Apple can put a tie on a turd and sell a million of them. It is amazing what a little bit of savvy marketing can do.

Aside from the design, this is an absolutely terrible product that suits only the most modest of needs for the price. But it has an Apple logo on it and it's thin, so might as well put a $1000+ price tag on something that has a market value of a 1/3 of that.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
But it has an Apple logo on it and it's thin, so might as well put a $1000+ price tag on something that has a market value of a 1/3 of that.
Don't forget the non-metaphorical shiny coat of paint. ;)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well yeah there is that.

OP
C

chas_m

I think a lot of people are missing the point with this unit. It's carefully designed to do what MOST computer users do MOST of the time ... NOT what power-nerds do!

Think for a minute, realistically, about what most people do with their computers most of the time. If your reply was anything other than Facebook, browsing, email, messaging, and Microsoft Office like work, consider yourself out of touch.

With a 2x faster SSD than most computers, and fast RAM, where's the need for a super-powerful processor in that list of tasks? Nowhere. This machine wouldn't be ideal for me because of SOME things I *occasionally* do, but it can handle my core day-to-day work (browsing, writing, light image editing, chatting) without the slightest bit of an issue. I think a lot of people also ignore the scaling: it's rated for 1.2GHz for typical tasks, but can ramp up past 2.0GHz when needed.

I'm not getting one, but my wife for example would be delighted with it. She's currently using a 2010 MBA that in every way meets or exceeds her requirements.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.