first gen mac pro -4670 for bootcamp.kernal panic

Reaction score
Guys when ever i pop in my 4670, specificly for boot camp. I get a kernal panic from the boot up. Many people have said that non efi cards are simply ignored. Is there anything i must do, it DOES run in bootcamp. only,my stock card is a 7300gt..please help me

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Need to know more about the card other than it's a 4670.

I assume this must be a windows firmware based card and not one that specifically states for Mac on the box. If, so the firmware has not been flashed to work in a Mac, in which case I'm surprised you can get it to boot at all.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah...if you're installing a "non-Macintosh" video card into your Mac Pro...that would certainly explain kernel panics.

Just because you're running Windows via bootcamp on a Mac Pro...doesn't mean you can just start "popping" in Windows based hardware. It's still a Macintosh computer...and you still need to use Macintosh compatible hardware.

Unless (like Bobtomay mentioned) if the video card was flashed for a Mac...but even then that doesn't guarantee 100% compatibility.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Need to know more about the card other than it's a 4670.

I assume this must be a windows firmware based card and not one that specifically states for Mac on the box. If, so the firmware has not been flashed to work in a Mac, in which case I'm surprised you can get it to boot at all.

Well osx WILL boot with any card, but won't take advantage of it. I just got my 4670, to boot in osx accompanied by my stock 7300gt. I simply use it for boot camp gaming and blender. If you care to know i deleted the 4600gt kext in safe mode. After that 4600gt booting in the mac pro

OP
I
Reaction score
Yeah...if you're installing a "non-Macintosh" video card into your Mac Pro...that would certainly explain kernel panics.

Just because you're running Windows via bootcamp on a Mac Pro...doesn't mean you can just start "popping" in Windows based hardware. It's still a Macintosh computer...and you still need to use Macintosh compatible hardware.

Unless (like Bobtomay mentioned) if the video card was flashed for a Mac...but even then that doesn't guarantee 100% compatibility.

- Nick

nick i'm happy to inform you that 4 cards have worked in my mac pro,though it was not recognized , but it booted and showed up as "Display".
Its recognized in boot-camp :D

So anyway i test this with the 9600gt,4670,8600,8800gt ALL working perfectly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
nick i'm happy to inform you that 4 cards have worked in my mac pro,though it was not recognized , but it booted and showed up as "Display".
Its recognized in boot-camp :D

So anyway i test this with the 9600gt,4670,8600,8800gt ALL working perfectly.

Your statement above is sort of confusing. On one hand you say all of these video cards work "perfectly"...but on the other hand you said, "that 4 cards have worked in my mac pro,though it was not recognized.

In any case...how do you explain the kernel panics if it's not from using non-compatible video cards?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.