First Aid Error

Reaction score
I started to have weird error when running the First Aid Utility in Disk Management for Macos Ventura. To make a long story short here is screen shot of the error that I get. When it started First Aid would not complete but I did finally get it to complete but the error continues. I have an 2017 iMac 21.5 with Ventura installed with a External SSD as a boot drive.

Attachments

• IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Why are you running First Aid? What symptoms triggered you to do that? The errors are all inside the Time Machine snapshots, but before tackling that, what started you on this path?

OP
T
Reaction score
I run Onyx twice a month and when I ran today it would not complete checking the system because of the error

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, because Onyx had an issue you ran First Aid? Is that what you are saying?

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, and when I ran First Aid the 1 time it failed because of this error after I deleted the snapshots and Time Machine ran again it did finish ok but those errors came back. In fact I erased my Time Machine drive and started over and I did delete the snapshots also and it still came back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT: Removed post because commands were incomplete. Still researching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found this in a discussion at Apple:

It's a bit harsh, but may be the only fix.

You can try to find the file using the inode number, but I'm not sure if the inode in the report is for the source file, or the copy in the snapshot. I'm not sure how snapshots and inodes are related.

EDIT: IF you can find the source file, my thinking was to either delete it, or block it from being in the backup to get rid of the reported error. That would be a workaround. The issue seems to be that the xattr metadata is missisng/broken in some file in your system, but it's only being identified as broken in the TM snapshots. Might be a problem with TM making the snapshot, in which case there may not be a fix, other than to call Apple Support and see what they suggest. I suspect they will take the approach already listed in the link above.

OP
T
Reaction score
I was afraid you where going to say that! Thanks for the help! It does not seem right now not hurting anything I will do that later!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it's not a fatal error, the backup should still be good, and if it's not impacting you, just ignore it. And don't run Onyx/First Aid. I run Onyx maybe once a year, just to see what it reports. I run First Aid only when I think I have a disk issue, so maybe every 1.5 years? Unless you see errors, just let the Mac run. macOS isn't Windows, doesn't need monitoring or checking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.