Firewire between PC & MAC

S

Shape

Hi,
Is it possible to transfer files between a MAC running OSX and a PC Laptop with a firewire PCMCIA card? Using a 6pin to 6pin firewire cable.

Reason being I'm looking at buying a PC or MAC laptop second hand and I have the choice of either a 500mhz PC laptop for $500NZ or an 500mhz ibook 12' for $850NZ. The PC also has a CD Writer which is an advantage.

At my place of study we all use MAC's no the ability to transfer files between the two will likely be the deciding factor in my purchase.

Cheers

OP
S

Shape

Also I should have mentioned that I use iTunes alot so decent(not great) speakers and headphones adaptor is something I'll really be looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
Shape said:
Hi,
Is it possible to transfer files between a MAC running OSX and a PC Laptop with a firewire PCMCIA card? Using a 6pin to 6pin firewire cable.

Reason being I'm looking at buying a PC or MAC laptop second hand and I have the choice of either a 500mhz PC laptop for $500NZ or an 500mhz ibook 12' for $850NZ. The PC also has a CD Writer which is an advantage.

At my place of study we all use MAC's no the ability to transfer files between the two will likely be the deciding factor in my purchase.

Cheers

yes you can.
plug the wire in both computers,restart mac and hold down the T key. mac will start up in firewire target mode. PC will recognize mac as external firewire drive.
I sugest to use ethernet for transfering data. firewire requires to restart one of the computers in target mode, that takes time. the real purpose of firewire is video capture and its not realy "hot plug" when connecting two computers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.