Firewire audio issues Mac + Motu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro (2008) 2 x quad core 2.8ghz, 24Gb RAM OSX 10.10.5
Hi folks,
My first post here, so please be gentle ;)

I am a musician, I run Logic X on a 2008 8 core mac pro with 24Gb RAM.

I have used this system since new in conjunction with a motu 828 mkII interface and have always found it to be a reliable set up.
A few months back I started to, intermittently, get some dreadful popping and crackling noises along with a big drop in sound quality. (This problem only occurred
when using the two front panel xlr inputs.
I did all the usual things to check all my wiring, leads and connections but the problem continued. I took my collection of mics to a friends studio and checked
that they all worked correctly. Having established that the mics were ok i started to entertain the possibility that my interface was on its last legs. I bit the bullet
and bought a new focusrite saffire pro 24 only to find that the problem has not gone away. So to my question; Is it possible that the firewire bus on my mac is causing this and if so
is there a chance this could be rectified by installing a pci firewire card in my mac to use instead of the built in ports.
I know my mac is getting a bit long in the tooth but a replacement is out of the question at the moment so any advice or thoughts on this would be gratefully received.

Thanks guys

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the forums.

You are not going to get an answer without providing information. We have no idea which Mac you have (year and model) or what version of OS X it's running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) - 2.4GHz - 256GB - 8GB DDR3L
Hi piffle, what buffer size are you using in your DAW? Pops, clicks, and crackles are quite often to do with the buffer size being too low. Basically that means the audio engine doesn't have enough processing time. That would explain why changing the audio interface didn't make a difference (the MOTU and Focusrite models you mentioned are similar spec if I remember right...), assuming you were using the same computer and DAW?
Have you tried any other firewire devices to test out the port? I'm not really sure how likely it is that the firewire bus is the problem.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use 2 x Quad core 2.8Ghz mac pro 3.1 with 24Gb Ram. OSX 10.10.5. Logic X is my main music software.
Had tried to enter this info on my profile but it doesn't seem to want to update.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yay .. updated ... maybe my painfully slow broadband.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) - 2.4GHz - 256GB - 8GB DDR3L
What's your buffer size set at now? Always worth checking!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buffer is set at 256 - which is the setting i have used since i got this mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.