Firefox problem

Reaction score
After upgrading Maverick to Yosemite on a MacbookPro, Firefox will not load. If another browser (Chrome or Safari) is open, it will open instead of FireFox. I have tried total reinstall of Firefox and other solutions (will not start in safe mode either) but no change. All that comes up at times is a black screen for a moment and then nothing. Most of the time the screen just freezes. Something is blocking Firefox from opening, any suggestions? Thanks

M

MacInWin

Get rid of FF? That's my suggestion.

Or, you can check for an update to FF to see if there is a new version that supports Yosemite.

OP
J
Reaction score
Problem

Already downloaded latest version of Firefox, which works just fine on my IMac 27.
As far as getting rid of Firefox, that's not a solution. I want to have all three browsers available as I have had in the past.

Jrmar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Have you, by any chance, installed and used so called ' cleaning software ' or otherwise messed with the OS ?

Cheers ... McBie

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Firefox works fine here on Yosemite so something else is going on. Will see if I can find any reports of your issue and get back if I do.

OP
J
Reaction score
Cleaning Software

I do have "Clean My Mac" installed on the MacBookPro. It was installed and used when I had Mavericks running, no issues. I have used Clean My Mac with the Yosemite installation but it was after FireFox would not start.

I upgraded my iMac 27 to Yosemite and it runs Firefox and Safari with no problems. It doesn't have "Clean My Mac" installed. The other difference is I don't have Chrome installed on the iMac.

What would cause an attempt to open Firefox to bring up Safari or Chrome if they are open but minimized?

Thanks everyone for your time.

JRMar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What you could do is restart the machine and launch Firefox.
Then open the log file ( Console.app ) and check if there is anything related to errors coming from Firefox.

PS. Get rid of Clean my Mac.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that and probably get rid of "Clean My Mac" too.

Jrmar

Reaction score
Plus 1 on get rid of CleanMyMac. Do yourself a favor.

OP
J
Reaction score
Got rid of CleanMyMac.

Did the reboot and tried too open Firefox. Here's the beginning of the crash report:

11/21/14 4:25:39.856 PM ReportCrash[654]: Saved crash report for Dock[634] version 1.8 (1476) to /Users/jrmar/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Dock_2014-11-21-162539_Macintosh2-2.crash

Process: Dock [634]
Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock
Identifier: com.apple.dock
Version: 1.8 (1476)
Build Info: Dock-1476000000000000~1
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Dock [634]
User ID: 502

Date/Time: 2014-11-21 16:25:39.210 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.10.1 (14B25)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: 9B227BCF-AD97-758D-5FE5-6B6C598014AA

Time Awake Since Boot: 3000 seconds

Crashed Thread: 3 Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000002010c4c

Not sure what this all means. Maybe FireFox can't be found? No mention of FireFox, but the time is right for when I tried to open Firefox.

thanks,

jrmar

Reaction score
I can help you do you have the security turned on on yosemite go into system pref and select security and privacy and once open click the lock at the bottom of the window to unlock it now on the general tab select allow apps from anywhere.

this is the same problem i had with firefox i had to completely remove firefox including its pref from the system folder

Macintosh HD/SYSTEM/Library/identity services/Firefoxblock.plist

this also shows up and i removed it as well if this doesn't show up in the folder listed then the good news is you just need to reinstall firefox after the security allow all apps runs

for some odd reason this is what is in the file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>AutoConfigureVettedAddresses</key>
<true/>
<key>DisplayName</key>
<string>Firefoxblock</string>
<key>Identifier</key>
<string>com.apple.private.alloy.blockmalware</string>
<key>LaunchDarwinNotification</key>
<string>com.apple.firefoxblock.idslaunchnotification</string>
<key>ProtocolName</key>
<string>com.apple.private.alloy.block</string>
<key>PushTopic</key>
<string>com.apple.private.alloy.Block</string>
<key>ServiceName</key>
<string>com.apple.private.alloy.Block</string>
<key>SendPhoneNumberRegistration</key>
<true/>
<key>Firefoxblock</key>
<true/>

I backed up the file and the good news is it seems to only block the firefox web browser if you upgrade from another o.s but after i installed a fresh full non upgraded yosemite i had no issues and this never came up again i think that the only reason this file was in place is there where bad versions of firefox that where not created from legit sources and they where blocked during upgrade because of a dialer trogen but it doesn't work on mac it was just blocked to fix the main issue

anyways give it a shot and have fun

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I had already changed the security setting. I went into the Systems/library/identity/services and the firefox file you mention does not exist.
I've checked for a Firefox profile file in Library/ Application support and no FireFox file there either. There is a Mozilla folder but nothing named FireFox inside.

Best,

Jrmar

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.