Firefox for Mac defective?

Reaction score
As a PC user, Firefox has always been my browser of "choice"

When I recently dumped Windows and came over to OS X, I
wanted to continue using FIREFOX -- particularly for specific
plugins that would not work on any other browser including SAFARI.

For the most part, FIREFOX works fine under OS X....initially.

However, I have read on many message boards about "memory
leaks" within the browser, and I think I have finally experienced
some of them myself.

After a while, FIREFOX starts acting funky. COPY AND PASTE stops
working. Also, if you type any punctuation keys (" ' &), the
cursor jumps somewhere else in the browser page.

Seems like there is some sort of defect in Firefox causing these
problems with Macs.

Anyone else experience these problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Nope I generally find Firefox "clunky" on both OS's so I'm not a Fan of it, however I've never experienced those kind of problems :s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I find Safari better. I used to run Firefox and thunderbird on my PC where they were good. When I got the Mac I tried firefox and it did not seem as zippy as before so I went back to Safari. I also tried Opera and much the same result. Safari with tabbed windows would be nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I get the occasional quirk, like tab close buttons not responding, but FF is fine for me, with about a dozen plugins. In fact, it's running almost constantly on my MacBook.

OP
N
Reaction score
I would LOVE to go with SAFARI if not for the plugins
on Firefox. The plugins are essential.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
I haven't had the said issues, but the issues I used to have with FireFox when I got a MBP was that while on a wireless connection, it would temporarily lock up. I'd get the spinning beachball of death for a minute or two, then the program would free up. Weird.

So, I use Safari now. It's quicker and works without locking up.

I downloaded and started using Sunrise for a bit, but I don't like how the address bar works. You have to type in http://www.alskdg.com in order to go to that page. If you just type www.algkdns.com you do a search. It sucks. Though, Sunrise is a bit faster than Safari and their bookmarks execution is great. To bad there's that one essential flaw.

M

MacHeadCase

NJRonbo, did you have a look at Pimp My Safari? You might find some of the stuff there useful.

Just read the requirements to make sure the plug-in will work with your version of Safari (some of the stuff there is a bit old) and if there is a link that takes you to the developer's site, take a look over there instead to see if there wouldn't be a newer version of the plug-ins you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I think the memory leak is an issue with older versions of Firefox, seeing as I just recently started using it again and haven't really noticed it using any more RAM than Safari. As for your other issues, those are indeed weird and are certainly not common (in fact this is the first I've heard of them). Have you tried dumping your preferences or reinstalling Firefox? I don't have anything against Safari (in fact I love Webkit), but if your main concern is the extensions, neither Safari nor anything else can come anywhere near touching Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
I find Safari better. I used to run Firefox and thunderbird on my PC where they were good. When I got the Mac I tried firefox and it did not seem as zippy as before so I went back to Safari. I also tried Opera and much the same result. Safari with tabbed windows would be nice.

Safari does has tabbed browsing....?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yes, it does.

it also has a super neat way of handling the link bar - you can make drop down menus for catagories of links. you can also make any of these "groups" auto launch with one click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
The only problem I have experienced with Firefox is when I'm typing in a forum that uses vBulletin, such as this one, and I need to go back to edit something, I do that, press down to go back to the end of where I'm typing and as soon as I start typing it takes a new line... sometimes it's annoying, but I just make sure I don't make any mistakes when typing and it's all good!

Reaction score
yes, it does.

it also has a super neat way of handling the link bar - you can make drop down menus for catagories of links. you can also make any of these "groups" auto launch with one click.

It does have tabbed Browsing? Is it something you turn on?
I find that FF doesn't work with a lot of sites I visit. I tried Opera, but it seemed very quirky!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It does have tabbed Browsing? Is it something you turn on?
I find that FF doesn't work with a lot of sites I visit. I tried Opera, but it seemed very quirky!!

Preferences, Tabs.

Picture 1.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.