Finder stops me from logging off and shutting down.

Reaction score
When I try to log off or shut down I get a message stating that finder still has operations pending or something to that effect. I can eventually log off but it will to allow the system to shut down. Also the system has been very very slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.5; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.5; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
When I try to log off or shut down I get a message stating that finder still has operations pending or something to that effect. I can eventually log off but it will to allow the system to shut down. Also the system has been very very slow.

Hello Dave... - welcome to the forum! :) You've given us virtually no information about your system to even make a decent suggestion: 1) What laptop do you own (model/year); 2) What OS X is installed (and is it up to date); 3) Did this occur after a major OS X upgrade; 4) How much RAM do you have; 5) How much storage is in the laptop & how much is 'free'; and 6) What have you done to correct the problem.

BTW - if Finder 'freezes' on you, go to the Apple-> Force Quit, then select Finder which will be 'relaunched' - good luck. Dave

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you get any clue what those pending operations might be? Are you experiencing other slowdowns?

Also have you used Disk Utility to verify the disk and repair it if necessary? Sometimes if there are disk errors a shut down might be delayed due to difficulty writing to the drive.

Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
Dave R.…Occasionally I have the same situation. I have found that relaunching Finder via Force Quit or right-clicking the icon on the dock and selecting "Relaunch" allows the logging out or shutting down to automatically continue by itself.

RadDave has a temporary fix dead on, but I would prefer knowing why this happens so that it won't (willn't?) happen again.

BG

P.S. As Dave is my first name, I have to wonder if this is this a "Dave" convention, with Slydude as a visitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave R.…Occasionally I have the same situation. I have found that relaunching Finder via Force Quit or right-clicking the icon on the dock and selecting "Relaunch" allows the logging out or shutting down to automatically continue by itself.

RadDave has a temporary fix dead on, but I would prefer knowing why this happens so that it won't (willn't?) happen again.

BG

P.S. As Dave is my first name, I have to wonder if this is this a "Dave" convention, with Slydude as a visitor.

Hi Dave - well, our OP, Dave has not returned in a year and a half, plus macOS is now up to Sierra, so maybe the issue cured itself? Dave ;)
a3909750094_10.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hmmm…??? just checking out them Daves and the beer cans in the boat and wondering, but do they actually sell Rainier beer in North Carolina??? ;)

Unknown.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm…??? just checking out them Daves and the beer cans in the boat and wondering, but do they actually sell Rainier beer in North Carolina??? ;)

View attachment 25122

Hey Patrick - I've had that beer above - BUT, North Carolina has well over 100 local craft breweries, so no need for me to 'drink out of state' - ;)

Combo pic below of some of my favorites from Winston-Salem & Greensboro, NC, i.e. Foothills, Natty Greene, & Red Oak - :) Dave
Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 9.44.25 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Nice, and I won't brag too much, but Victoria BC and local areas have become world famous for some of the beers here and when one adds the rest of BC, some feel they've just gone to heaven and that's not including most of the liquor store carried beers, some of which are also excellent.

I will admit that we have some **** good water and also grow some of the best hops in the world, and grow some great grains, but I digress… and OT…

Take a peek:
http://victoriabeers.com/about-us/
http://beermebc.com/bc-breweries/

Definitely some local serious beer fans and breweries around these here parts… ;)

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being mainly a wine drinker, British Columbia has had an amazing expansion of its wine industry - I've had only a few (just don't ship to me in the middle of North Carolina); but from the image below, there are nearly 300 wineries in BC (at the moment!) - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 10.59.23 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.