FINDER Restore Window Layout

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I don't know how to post my screen shot. It's too big. Crop is grey in Preview.
You don't want to crop, you want to reduce file size.

To do that, I use Preview. Then go to Tools > Adjust Size. Make sure it displays in Pixels, then adjust the biggest number to 800. Then it should upload here without an issue.

Reaction score
I had the same issue when I upgraded to Catalina: assumed it was the new default. Drove ME mad too until I worked out how to change it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@toMACsh, what is it you are trying to show us in that screenshot? It looks normal to me, given that you have selected the entire drive in the left sidebar. I took your image and circled in red the icon for where you can change how the items are sorted/grouped.
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 6.03.54 AM.png

Reaction score

Just to reiterate, this is not the kind of Finder window that the OP was referring to. OP stated (emphasis mine):

Is there a way to restore the Finder window that seems now to display in any app's File>Open or File>Recents or File>Save etc.

As far as I know, THAT finder window can't have its toolbar customized by right-clicking on it and selecting Customize Toolbar. The Finder window YOU have opened and sent a screenshot of is just a regular Finder window that you get when clicking the Finder icon in the dock (or opening a volume or network place on your desktop, etc.). THAT Finder window can be customized, so the toolbar layout may look quite different than the Finder window I and the OP gave examples of. In fact, I think by default the toolbars on each are different, even if you haven't customized the one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jonathan, the view of APPLICATION Finder is controlled with the icon I've circled here:

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 9.21.25 AM.png

The resulting drop down menu has "Group items by" options.

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 9.22.40 AM.png

The default was, for me, none. Always has been. I cannot say why yours was something different, but it's easy to change and the fix is persistent, that is, make it once and it sticks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, not all applications use the OS finder function as default. MS Office, for example, opens with its own interface, but if you click on the top menu bar to Open, the standard application finder window opens.

Reaction score
Jonathan, the view of APPLICATION Finder is controlled with the icon I've circled here:

I know ;) I'm referring to the layout of the toolbar itself (not the view options). Thought that's maybe what toMACsh was referring to when he said his "looked different."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never really thought of the file open dialog as "Finder" but more "Finder-like." There is some isolation between the two, as a change made in "Finder-like" does not appear in the full Finder. I just tested that to be sure, and it is.

Reaction score
I've never really thought of the file open dialog as "Finder" but more "Finder-like."

Yeah, I'm not sure what the official nomenclature is for that type of window/dialog if not "Finder", but I was just sticking with the language the OP was using to refer to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But his use of the term "Finder" led to confusion. From post #2 until your emphasis post, the discussion was around Finder, and not the app-specific finder-like window. In tech, terms are important.

Oh, well, water under the bridge. I think it's sorted out now.

Reaction score
But his use of the term "Finder" led to confusion.

Only because people didn't read the post carefully. He did specify he was referring to the "Finder window that seems now to display in any app's File>Open or File>Recents or File>Save etc." He was very specific as to when he encountered this window.

Oh, well, water under the bridge. I think it's sorted out now.

Yep :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Just to reiterate, this is not the kind of Finder window that the OP was referring to.

Got it. Obviously, I missed that previously.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.