Finder issues

Reaction score
Often when searching for a file finder does not return the file. I am aware you can change the preferences of the finder such as changing things like "kind" "search this mac" etc..

but it seems that certain files won't show up. For that matter, they don't show up in spotlight.

E.G. I have this file Audio Levels.qtz For this program VDMX. the File lives in library/application support/qc source/ etc..

there IS a file "Audio Levels.qtz" however, searching any of those words in either finder or spotlight neither finds nor spotlights anything.

Where am I going wrong?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Spotlight is not the best at finding things. Here are two apps which work better and are free:

1. EasyFind

2. Find Any File

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Another "hear hear" for EasyFind.

I suppose that you might get spotlight to work better if you forced it to re-index your HD. To do this: Go into Preferences>Spotlight>Privacy. Then drag your HD (usually found on the desktop) into the free space box. This will tell you that your HD will be excluded from all searches. Agree. Leave it there for a few seconds, then click on the HD to highlight it. Then use the "minus" button to remove it from the box. This will force spotlight to re-index your HD. Could take a while if you've a lot on it. Worth a try, maybe?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
One of the problems as the OP found, is that Spotlight, at least from it's location at the top right of the screen, doesn't allow searching in any Library and it can't even be added in its System Pref window.

The indexing is probably all OK but one never knows… :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.