"Find My iphone" feature

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
is there a way of tracking my iphone 6 if the "Find My iphone" feature is switched off? and to download apps from app store, is the icloud id required? or is it an apple id? what is the difference?

what excuse can l say to convince someone that the icloud account has to be left logged in?

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
is there a way of tracking my iphone 6 if the "Find My iphone" feature is switched off?

Apple can send you the "last location" of your iPhone. You should have locations services turned on. But why would you want to have "Find My iPhone" turned off? Make sure you read the following Apple KB article about Find My iPhone and why it should be turned on.

In order to download apps from the iTunes app store you must have a valid Apple ID and a method of payment on file. Your iCloud address is not the same as your Apple ID.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
why was "Find My iPhone" easily turned off. other people have "Find My iPhone" turned on and it can't be switched off by going to "settings", "icloud" since a window appears and asks for the password "Sign In to iCloud. Enter the Apple ID password for K*******@ch*n.com"
why wasn't pw also asked to play with my iCloud settings ?
it says in the website http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201365
"your password will be required before anyone can turn off Find My iPhone on your device, erase your device, or reactivate and use your device.

Activation Lock is enabled automatically when you use Find My iPhone on a device using iOS 7 or later."

so why so easily switched off in my apple 6?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It should have been asked for if iCloud was set up with a hard to guess password and "Find My Phone" was turned on. You don't tell us much information about what happened.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
so why so easily switched off in my apple 6?

We can reply to you and guess all day long... but we have no idea what you're referring to? Did you lose or did someone steal your iPhone 6?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
l thought it would be found in the "SpotLight" or in utilities, but can't find it. currently track my iphone with icloud.com but it looks imprecise (please see attachment) compared to
'Find My iPhone' in my iphone, as shown by ‎Find My iPhone

l was hoping for same precision using this feature on my mbpr

Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 8.23.27 pm.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Anything downloaded from iTunes to your Mac will be in
Code:
/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/
and not for use with your Mac.
The only way to use "Find My Phone" on your Mac, is how you do it now, by signing into iCloud and then clicking the 'Find my Phone' icon.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And why are you cross posting? How about let's keep this topic all in one place.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
l thought it would be found in the "SpotLight" or in utilities, but can't find it. currently track my iphone with icloud.com but it looks imprecise (please see attachment) compared to
'Find My iPhone' in my iphone, as shown by https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8

l was hoping for same precision using this feature on my mbpr

C

chas_m

If you can't find it on your iPhone, then it's not downloaded/not installed. Re-download it and try again.

Might want to check and see if your iPhone's capacity is full, perhaps that's why it didn't download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Also, the current version at the iTunes store requires iOS 8.x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ive already answered you in one of 3 threads now. Read one of them, if its not what you want to hear, then sorry I can help that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Applet:

We are not going to warn you again.... keep this thread all together. Any more cross posting is going to lead to the thread being removed.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
chscag and others, sorry, it is definitely not intentional, browser said it was posting was unsuccessful so l clicked back and resent it.
the above attachment is how l see 'findmy iphone' on my mbpr's browser, but on my iphone, it looks much more precise as in the maps and locations of iphone in https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8 as l use the finndmyiphone app on my iphone, hoped it would be possible from my mbpr laptop.
is it possible to get that precision with my mbpr that l can get with my iphone? l did download the more "precise" findmyiphone app, from my mbpr from itunes

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try using the + or - to re-size or zoom in as necessary. Certainly should be able to get pretty darn accurate for any location.

And don't forget the MBPro and your iPhone use different resolutions and Retina models can show different resolutions as well.

Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 10.54.26 AM.png

Reaction score
I am very surprise at the rudeness being sent here, I joined this group for help, not only with what I post but what I can learn from others, seems the moderators or what ever get a little impatient and vent to those who are only seeking assistance.

Now I suppose I will get blasted because this is posted in the wrong place.
Sorry if I offended but I was offended

<end>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Offensive?? Really? The Administrator was doing his job. His job is to keep this board running smoothly. The OP was warned to not cross post. The OP apologized and clarified his/her question. The OP got their questions answered.

So why were you offended? Nothing was directed at you.

You are correct when you say a lot of boards are very offensive and ridicule people when they post. I believe that is well controlled here by the board administrator and moderators. In order to keep people from creating cross posts or being ridiculous, sometimes they have to be strong in their warnings in order to not be forced to ban a person from the forum. Which is better a strong warning or just ban them so no one gets offended?

Please be aware I am asking you to think about the responsibilities of the people who work very hard to make this forum work. Many hours are spent reading, posting, moving posts, and maintaining forum areas. All this because they want to share their knowledge with others in a positive environment which sometimes has to be defended.

Oh, and I am not blasting you - just giving you my thoughts.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Lisa, I agree and well stated.

Patrick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.