Finally got the new powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Well it arrived today, along with my new 4g ipod. I'm psyched, I have already learned so much about the osx environment. I am really enjoying it and I must say, this is such a beautiful computer! Here is a pic, excuse the mess I just threw everything down once I got it hooked up!

powerbook.jpg
:D

N

Nightblade

Do you have any concerns or complaints about this Powerbook? Most people do when they get a new computer. If you do, feel free to tell us, and we'll do the best we can to help you get by them.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Yea a few questions:

1) Twice I have accidentally hit something that made all of the apps miniaturize themselves into a tile configuration to let me choose which window I want to view. How do I do that?

2) Is there a way to go right to the desk top like windows key + m in windows???

3) Is there a way to still find thoth to download? I want a good newsgroup binary tool.

4) What's a good site for 1440x900 wallpaper?

5) Where's cleardock?

Reaction score
1) Twice I have accidentally hit something that made all of the apps miniaturize themselves into a tile configuration to let me choose which window I want to view. How do I do that?

F8-F10 are the expose features. You can also use a hot corner to activate like the screen saver. I use Bottom Right hand corner.

2) Is there a way to go right to the desk top like windows key + m in windows???
Not sure

3) Is there a way to still find thoth to download? I want a good newsgroup binary tool.
I use Pan (Fink +X11)

4) What's a good site for 1440x900 wallpaper?
Try deviantart

5) Where's cleardock?[/QUOTE]
http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/cleardock

J

jaetique

Yup. That's F11 :D Enjoy your new toys. ;) Just like I'm enjoying my new iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
jamin said:

F8-F10 are the expose features. You can also use a hot corner to activate like the screen saver. I use Bottom Right hand corner.

Not sure

This is not entirely correct:
The Exposé features are F9-F11, where
F9 is the all windows tiled view
F10 focuses on the current application
F11 hides away all windows and shows the Desktop (like Windows+m)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Avalon said:

Erm... depending on how you have your keyboard setup, those functions are customizable. Personally, i've disabled Exposé's feature and use my function keys as my functions keys. :D

S

SexyHT

gort said:
Well it arrived today, along with my new 4g ipod. I'm psyched, I have already learned so much about the osx environment. I am really enjoying it and I must say, this is such a beautiful computer! Here is a pic, excuse the mess I just threw everything down once I got it hooked up!

powerbook.jpg
:D[/QUOTE

That looks sweet, but I'm saving my 6 grand to buy a powerbook g5 17inch loaded with a 30inch screen. (Only time will tell)

A

adidadi

SexyHT said:
gort said:

powerbook.jpg
:D[/QUOTE

That looks sweet, but I'm saving my 6 grand to buy a powerbook g5 17inch loaded with a 30inch screen. (Only time will tell)

The 30" screen will ONLY work with G5's and the Nvidia 6800 DDL card which occupies 2 slots. The guy at the Apple store said it would NOT even work in a G4, which I find hard to believe. But they will NOT work with notebooks. Maybe what they mean is at full resolution.

T

TylerMoney

Avalon said:

the 12", and 15" expose f#'s are different..slightly...the F9-F11 is on the 12"

and F10- (I don't think it's F12)....for 15"....I do believe.

M

Matt

Windows M minimises all Windows, F11 puts all the Windows to the side and minimise keys equivelent to Windows m is Apple M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
TylerMoney said:
the 12", and 15" expose f#'s are different..slightly...the F9-F11 is on the 12"

and F10- (I don't think it's F12)....for 15"....I do believe.

Well, the only laptop I could test it was the 15" Titanium PowerBook in our marketing office, and just like my PowerMac G4, it is F9-F11 (unless you change the f-key settings).

C

cde_woods

I see you have a five button Microsoft intellimouse, like me. I like to use the two side buttons on it (button four and five) to activate Expose' features. I set the thumb button to show all the windows in a "tiled" layout, as you put it. The button on the right side of the mouse is set to move all of the windows out of the way and show the desktop. It's not the equivilant of Windows+M (which, as somebody mentioned, is Apple+M) but I find it to be better as I don't have to go through all those windows at the bottom and maximise them again, I can just hit that mouse button and they slide back into place where they were.

Just as a note, it's not like these buttons can do anything else in OS X (it was designed to work with a one-button mouse!) so they might as well be set to expose to keep you from having to memorize what F8-F11 key does what.

C

Cloudane

Exposé on a mouse was one of the best ideas you can have :) I do pretty much the same with the intellimouse I use here, and I have a less exciting Microsoft optical mouse at work. With the latter, the middle button (clicky scroll wheel) is exposé with two modifiers. Holding ctrl gives me control of the desktop, whilst holding alt/opt gives me the alternative option where it only exposes windows belonging to your current application.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.