Finally getting a mac

Reaction score
Have decided on the 2.0ghz 1Gb DVD super drive 80gb hdd macbook (the white one). Of course if I end up selling my nokia n73 for a reasonable price on ebay, I'll immediatly change the decision for the black one.

Am really looking forward to getting the computer - have had a hacintosh and a G3 for a while, but my main computer is a beefy desktop PC and none of the pc laptops made my eyes open as wide as when I was playing with the macbook in the apple store. And all the pc laptops are bricks compared to the light and sleek macbook.

Oh and on posting this, hello to the forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Welcome to you dash8brj, nice to have you here.

Good luck with your purchase, come back and let us know what you decided on. We'll wait to hear how thrilled you are! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Have decided on the 2.0ghz 1Gb DVD super drive 80gb hdd macbook (the white one). Of course if I end up selling my nokia n73 for a reasonable price on ebay, I'll immediatly change the decision for the black one.

Am really looking forward to getting the computer - have had a hacintosh and a G3 for a while, but my main computer is a beefy desktop PC and none of the pc laptops made my eyes open as wide as when I was playing with the macbook in the apple store. And all the pc laptops are bricks compared to the light and sleek macbook.

Oh and on posting this, hello to the forums!

Welcome to the forum. Not only that a MacBook is sleek, it performs better as well compared to pc laptops. Besides, the new MacBooks now has 2.16GHz speed.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah I am playing and posting from my mates 2.16 ghz blackbook - I am jealous - such a sexy machine and sooooo light! cant wait to get mine! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
Yeah I am playing and posting from my mates 2.16 ghz blackbook - I am jealous - such a sexy machine and sooooo light! cant wait to get mine! :)

hi! i'm getting my 2.16 in 4 hours, is it really light? i mean lighter than say the 2.0 ghz black macbook? is your mate's 2.16 with a 120gb hard drive?

does anyone know if the bigger the hard drive space the heavier it is? thanks (i'm a newbie...please excuse me if those were stupid questions =P )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
does anyone know if the bigger the hard drive space the heavier it is? thanks (i'm a newbie...please excuse me if those were stupid questions =P )

No, not really. It just depends on the excess casing (if that's the way it's designed). Let me explain a little bit more, it's kind of weird. Take this link http://www.nuggetlab.com/comptia_files/equipment/hd_Top%20view%20of%20IDE%20hard%20drive.jpg. The weight will depend mainly the casing. But it also depends on how the drive is manufactured, because inside your hard drive, you have integrated circuits mounted on the circuit board (http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/11/Hard Drive Clock.jpg)... it's the black squares/rectangles you see. Those hardly weigh anything, but it can add up. So, in short, it's usually not something to worry about.

If you have the same casing, a 40GB vs a 80GB will not be different. The only thing that may be different is the speed of the platters (that's when you hear things like 5,400 RPM). The actual data storage is still the same. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
yes it did, thanks for the educational info =P

OP
D
Reaction score
Different hard drives only vary within a few grams. The guts are all the same size, shape and weight. A bigger hard drive simply uses more of the platter space or better platter density, so no your weight wont vary by much at all. It certainly wont be noticable. Am back on my PC desktop and have ordered the white 2.00 Ghz 80Gb model!

Reaction score
I am really wanting a macbook. My wife is getting an imac soon, we're sticking around a bit for a hopeful new release. I am stil a uni student and have a hp laptop, but i'm really intrigued by the macbook.

Someone mentioned they run better then pc laptops, are they just better or is there anything in specific??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
I am really wanting a macbook. My wife is getting an imac soon, we're sticking around a bit for a hopeful new release. I am stil a uni student and have a hp laptop, but i'm really intrigued by the macbook.

Someone mentioned they run better then pc laptops, are they just better or is there anything in specific??

Hey, it depends. Windows machine and Mac OS machines are different. They both have their positives and negatives.

The Windows operating system is built by engineers at Microsoft. Mac OS is based off of FreeBSD. Have a look at this chart for comparison: http://people.freebsd.org/~murray/bsd_flier.html. Even though it's for Windows 2000, the principle is the same.

But in general, I love my Mac. I don't hate Windows, but I don't prefer it. I can use it when I need/want to. All I can say is, if you're looking to keep your laptop on for a week or so (or even longer), don't worry about getting something equiv to the BSoD that you'd get on Windows =D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
Have decided on the 2.0ghz 1Gb DVD super drive 80gb hdd macbook (the white one).
The 2.0ghz 80gb macbooks do not come with super drives anymore! The refurbished ones on apple.com have some of the old configurations which would come wiht the superdrive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.