Final Cut Upgrade Questions

Reaction score
I had an older version of Final Cut (6) until I had to replace my hard drive. I would like to get it back or upgrade it to Final Cut X. I believe I downloaded it through iTunes, so would I be able to reinstall it again through there? And would I be able to upgrade Final Cut X at a discounted price?

Thanks for your help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I believe I downloaded it through iTunes, so would I be able to reinstall it again through there?

Final Cut 6 was from around 2007. Back in 2007 I don't think that there were that many apps being downloaded from iTunes...especially a more "major" app like Final Cut. But if you think that you downloaded it from iTunes...then log into your iTunes account and see if it's in your purchases.

And would I be able to upgrade Final Cut X at a discounted price?

I doubt it. Final Cut X is a couple versions newer. Usually only the ownership of the immediate previous version of an app qualifies for a discount. Also...Final Cut X was released in 2011. Discounts usually occur around the time an app is launched. Since this app is 4 years old I doubt any discounts are still in place.

But guess what. The easy answer is go the App Store and check!:)

And by the way. If you're still (or were) still running Final Cut 6...and want to run Final Cut X...you're probably going to need an OS upgrade. Also...you would need to check if your computer meets the min. specs for Final Cut X.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah you're right I will go back and check iTunes. This computer is a mid 2009 macbook pro and I feel like it was Final Cut 6...but I will go check it out. As for the OS upgrade I am now running Yosemite after the hardware issues.
I came here because it seems like it would be easier getting an answer to a question than trying to get in touch with Apple or iTunes support...I don't think Final Cut has a way to contact.
Thanks for the reply Nick!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This computer is a mid 2009 macbook pro and I feel like it was Final Cut 6...but I will go check it out. As for the OS upgrade I am now running Yosemite after the hardware issues.

Good deal that your computer is now running Yosemite.:)

One more thought. Final Cut 6 may not run (or probably won't run) under Yosemite. So if you want to stick with Yosemite…you may be forced to upgrade to a newer version of Final Cut.

Which may not necessarily be a bad thing (newer features & newer abilities).:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.