• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Pro 7

Reaction score
Hello, friends.

I edit for fun on my iMac, and I use Final Cut Pro 7. I really like this program, and I'm nervous for the day that I have to switch to 10. Honestly, I would rather NOT switch to 10, if at all possible, but I know that at some point, when my system upgrades, the program will no longer be supported.

Am I correct with this assumption? If so, is there anything that I can do to prevent it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
By 10 I take it you mean Yosemite?

If so you do not have to switch just stay put. And are you using Mavericks OS X.9.5? More information the more help.

Reaction score
Yes, eventually you won't be able to run FCP 7 on the newest Mac OS but there's no telling how long that might be. There are still a lot of people running FCP 7 in professional environments. Of course, you could always hang on to your old equipment and OS with FCP 7 on it at that point.
As hard as it can be to change, you should really consider looking at FCP X. It's not that difficult to learn and it's actually much easier to edit on once you get the hang of it. And that's not just my opinion; there are FCP X forums overflowing with editors at all levels that have made the change and are ecstatic that they did. And very few that wish they hadn't. Or you could switch over to Adobe Premier Pro if you insist on track-based editing. But I think you'll find that once you learn the magnetic timeline of FCP X, you'll never look back.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your input. I will continue to upgrade, and I will just have to learn the new program. I was just afraid, because so many people I know hated it, and it made me think that it would be awful.

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac 27, 4Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB, M395X, Pegasus R4, 2015 MPB, 2x 2013 MacBook Air 13s
...I will just have to learn the new program. I was just afraid, because so many people I know hated it, and it made me think that it would be awful...

To give another viewpoint, I'm a professional video editor and I had a very difficult time transitioning from Premiere Pro to FCP X. FCP 7 is a conventional track-based, file-based editor conceptually similar to Premiere or Avid. FCP X is a database-oriented editor that uses a different organizational paradigm called a storyline, not tracks.

Ultimately (once you become accustomed to it) I think FCP X is significantly faster because of the built-in organizational features.

If someone has never edited video I think FCP X might be easier to learn than the others. However if you have well-established skills in a track-based editor, you tend to look for the equivalent method or button in FCP X, and it's just not there -- it's totally different. You just have to dig in and learn it. It is well worth the effort in the long run.

Amazingly, one person -- Randy Ubillos -- was the initial designer, architect, and lead developer of the first three versions of Adobe Premier, Final Cut Pro, iMovie and now FCP X.

There are lots of good quality tutorials on FCP X, some free and some paid.

Here is a complete narrated step-by-step walk through of an actual production edit on FCP X. I have no relationship with this person or site; I just found it and it's very good. Note he was using FCP 10.0.8, which is before the new library scheme. However 99% of what he says applies to the current version. Video Editing with FCPX at the AIPP 2013 | FCPXposure

Reaction score
Here is a complete narrated step-by-step walk through of an actual production edit on FCP X. I have no relationship with this person or site; I just found it and it's very good. Note he was using FCP 10.0.8, which is before the new library scheme. However 99% of what he says applies to the current version. Video Editing with FCPX at the AIPP 2013 | FCPXposure

Thanks for the mention of my tutorial on this thread :) I went through the FCPX jitters like every other editor. Unlike a lot of them I worked through it and now it is all I use day in day out both for my professional work and personal projects.

My latest project is a 13 part series on stand-up comedy comprised of around 2TB of raw data (interviews and performances) and not a small amount of multi cam work. The final result is available here: The Joke's On Me | A new 13 Part web series about the world of Semi-pro standup comedy

100% of the editing grading and audio mixing was done without leaving FCPX. All graphics were created in Apple Motion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.