Files DON'T open

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Hello everyone,
I'm happy to announce I have a new job. I am working on a Mac that uses OSX on a network. What version of OSX I am not sure. It's a Mac Pro.

The problem is, when I click on the files they usually don't open. When they do open it takes three or more fast clicks. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
It could be as simple as a defective mouse problem (intermittent) or maybe going into System Preferences and adjust the mouse's clicking/scrolling parameters.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could be as simple as a defective mouse problem (intermittent) or maybe going into System Preferences and adjust the mouse's clicking/scrolling parameters.

Thanks. :) We changed the mouse. It still happens. And I did go into the System Preferences and adjusted the clicking. Nothing improved. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Do they open if you Right/Ctrl click on the file and then use the "Open" option from the pop up menu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I will share that I have tired a cabled apple mouse, a bluetooth magic mouse and now a magic trackpad. This is my first Mac Pro. I have a Windows editor that I have used for years now. I also have a Macbook Pro with a trackpad that I have used to edit with.

When I got the Mac Pro it came with a wired apple mouse. I bought a magic apple mouse. I could not get either mouse to click or react like I needed. It drove me nuts. I edit photos and create a lot of videos requiring a lot of mouse precise movements. My hands (I am ambidextrous) would be so tired from repeated mouse clicking by the end of the day.

Switching to the magic trackpad fixed it for me. I turned on tap and I am good now. Not sure if that would work for you but I do understand your frustration. I wish I could say why I had such issues - maybe because I am very use to a Windows mouse and I am ruined for an apple mouse???

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This could be a sign that the Mac is in dire need of some maintenance (run Onyx's full suite of maintenance and cleaning tools). It may also have too little RAM relative to what apps are running. Or too little free drive space. It could have rogue apps running that are making it run sluggishly. If you are opening these files over a network connection, it may be a networking issue that may or may not have anything to do with the Mac itself.

To start... run Onyx as mentioned above, if possible. If you still have problems, we need details details details. What version OS X. What exact Mac model. How much RAM is installed. How much used/free drive space. Etc etc etc.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all of your responses. My boss fixed the issue. I don't know what was done but the folders open now with two clicks.

I just miss the kind of mouse that has a right click on it. You don't know how much power those right clicks have until you aren't offered them anymore. lol

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Switching to the magic trackpad fixed it for me.

Lots of folks love the magic trackpad and trackpads in general. I guess it must be me because I can't stand the critters. Maybe I could get used to the new force trackpad offered in some of the newer model rMPB machines or the new MacBook. I love a wired mouse and wired keyboard but I finally broke down and began to use my Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard. I'm advancing... slowly. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I just miss the kind of mouse that has a right click on it. You don't know how much power those right clicks have until you aren't offered them anymore.
Just use Ctrl/click.

M

MacInWin

And depending on the kind of mouse (you didn't say), you can have the right side be a right click by going to System Preferences, Mouse and set "Secondary Click" to be a right-click. My Apple wireless mouse now clicks differently if I push on the left or right side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Two clicks to open many folders and files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Lots of folks love the magic trackpad and trackpads in general. I guess it must be me because I can't stand the critters. Maybe I could get used to the new force trackpad offered in some of the newer model rMPB machines or the new MacBook. I love a wired mouse and wired keyboard but I finally broke down and began to use my Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard. I'm advancing... slowly. ;P

+1. (Bolded mine)

I guess I just like my keyboard and mouse 'cause they just work!!

Wired Apple extended keyboard, and I still can't understand why so many go for the wireless ones, but I did go with a wireless USB dongle Logitech M705 mouse a few years ago, and with a good quality mousepad it's a dream to use.

No batteries needed for the wired keyboard obviously, and the two AA batteries for the Logitech wireless mouse last me well over two years and I hardly ever turn it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
+1. (Bolded mine)

I guess I just like my keyboard and mouse 'cause they just work!!

Wired Apple extended keyboard, and I still can't understand why so many go for the wireless ones, but I did go with a wireless USB dongle Logitech M705 mouse a few years ago, and with a good quality mousepad it's a dream to use.

No batteries needed for the wired keyboard obviously, and the two AA batteries for the Logitech wireless mouse last me well over two years and I hardly ever turn it off.

I can't stand Apple's wireless keyboard either. I'll take the full keyboard with keypad and function keys galore every time. I have those extra F-keys bound to a handful of shortcuts that make life so much easier. I don't mind the Magic Trackpad, but I haven't taken to it as much as I thought I would. I still prefer my Microsoft ergonomic mouse, despite that massive wireless transmitter sitting behind my iMac. I utterly despite Apple's mice. All of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I like the full size wired apple keyboard but I love the magic trackpad. I don't like the wired apple mouse or the magic mouse. I just can't get the hang of them and they tire my hand out.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.