File will not delete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2ghz Core Duo 2gb Ram 160gb Hard Drive
I have upgraded to CS3 and the remains of CS2 I'm trying to get rid of. there is 2 folder which contain files that have a HTML extension. The parent folder is a legal folder one for each .html file. Now have repaired the permissions with in osx and from the boot disk. It still will not delete this file every if I try securely empty trash or just plain empty It will delete everything else. Any help would be great if not I will just put them somewhere hidden I guess. Yes I have all the updates and its a Macbook Core Duo.
error.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
In terminal, type:

Code:
sudo rm -rf

Note there is a space at the the end. Now drag the offending item to the terminal window. you'll end up with something like:

Code:
sudo rm -rf /path/to/file.html

Hit enter key, then enter your root/admin password when prompted. That should erase the file immediately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
After you put it into your trash folder, try rebooting your machine. Once it has restarted try emptying your trash again.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Picture2.png

This what I get and I have tried the rebooting after I put it in the trash.

Reaction score
I have upgraded to CS3 and the remains of CS2 I'm trying to get rid of. there is 2 folder which contain files that have a HTML extension. The parent folder is a legal folder one for each .html file. Now have repaired the permissions with in osx and from the boot disk. It still will not delete this file every if I try securely empty trash or just plain empty It will delete everything else. Any help would be great if not I will just put them somewhere hidden I guess. Yes I have all the updates and its a Macbook Core Duo.

Hello websyndicate,

Try this for me please:

Start by creating a new user in the Accounts System Preferences panel. It doesn’t really matter what name or access level you give the new account; it’s going to have a very short existence. Once the account is created, move the troublesome file from the trash into the:

/Users/Shared folder.

Now, log in as the new user. Open the:

/Users/Shared folder,

and move the troublesome file into the new user’s trash.

Now logout of the new account and log back into your main account. Return to the Accounts pane in System Preferences, select the account you just created, and click the minus sign (or just hit Delete). The system will put up a dialog box asking if you’re sure you want to do this, with three options: Cancel, OK, and Delete Immediately. Select Delete Immediately, and the troublesome file (along with the new user and the disk space they used) will disappear. (If you just press OK, the files from the deleted user will still reside on your drive.)

:black:

BTW, OnyX has a secure trash empty option if you have it installed.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have done the user account option and I got the files to disappear but now when I try to delete the user account folder from the it says it can't.
Picture3-1.png

When will the madness end. I did also try deleting it from the the guest account with administrator rights. I have also tried renaming this folder. FYI the folder show nothing its empty it says
Picture4.png

Picture5.png

Reaction score
Did you reboot before this latest update in the situation?

In the Get info window the padlock need unlocking and you need to have full read write permissions.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did that now and this is what I get with a folder with zero bytes and no items in it.
Picture6.png

Reaction score
Do you have OnyX?

If the Secure Delete in Finder doesn't erase that file, you could try downloading OnyX and running it. Repairing Permissions, Optimising System, Cleaning Caches and Securley Emptying the Trash are all done from within OnyX.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well no go on all of those I will just have to live with it I guess or til 10.5 get release the I will reformat again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey pulse, it looks like the file is in use, so maybe not a permissions issue.

I bet a system startup item is putting a lock on the file. If I remember right, CS3 loads a third party kext for password security.

websyndicate, restart with the shift key down to safe-boot. Then try deleting the file again.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey pulse, it looks like the file is in use, so maybe not a permissions issue.

I bet a system startup item is putting a lock on the file. If I remember right, CS3 loads a third party kext for password security.

websyndicate, restart with the shift key down to safe-boot. Then try deleting the file again.

thanks so much giulio it worked safe mode did the trick. Out of the great effort and thank you everybody safe mode did the trick. I know it was only less than 1mb but, it does bother some of us thanks so much again to everybody and to giulio and this suggestion.:dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sweet, I was right?! [happy dance]

Glad I could help you out. I know that is really frustrating some times.

Hey mods - you know I'm thinking about asking for dontcha?! haha =)

[happy dance]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
For future reference, those foreign language "legal" files have been known to cause problems with Apple's disk utility software - in some cases rendering a machine unusable. Delete the entire "Legal" folder in each Adobe Application Folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.