File Vault Problem...

Reaction score
I am running an iBook in 10.3.9 and it has worked great, but recently, I archived a few documents in my home folder and then transfered them to a jump-drive and then deleted the archive. The only problem is that, for some reason, File Vault never cleared away the temp files and now my hard drive is nearly full, and I don't know what to do.

Normally, I would just turn File-Vault off, and it would clear this away, but there is not enough space on the machine to do that.

Is there a way to make OSX recover File Vault disc space, since it won't do it on its own?

Thanks for any help anybody can offer,

Adam :0)

OP
A
Reaction score
I am running an iBook in 10.3.9 and it has worked great, but recently, I archived a few documents in my home folder and then transfered them to a jump-drive and then deleted the archive. The only problem is that, for some reason, File Vault never cleared away the temp files and now my hard drive is nearly full, and I don't know what to do.

Normally, I would just turn File-Vault off, and it would clear this away, but there is not enough space on the machine to do that.

Is there a way to make OSX recover File Vault disc space, since it won't do it on its own?

Thanks for any help anybody can offer,

Adam :0)

Just in case anybody else has this problem, I figured out the solution - Create another Admin user account and log into it and modify the user permissions of the FileVault account so that it can be mounted. Once mounted, verify and repair it with disc-utility. Unmount it, return permissions to original Admin account and then boot into that account.

Once that acount is logged-out again, it will recover the used space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.