File transfer error deletes whats already copied.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have always been bugged about this. Say I am copying a folder from a drive that is going bad. There is 20GB and it gets 3/4 of the way thru and there is a problem. I hit okay, and then it removes everything it's already copied. Is there a way to stop that from happening so I can atleast keep what I have already got? Thanks!

Reaction score
You can do this in Terminal.
Say you have a folder full of files. You can use the cp command.
You have to know exactly where the folder is and exactly where the drive is you're copying to.
For example: In your Home folder is a folder named stuff you need to copy. It's going to a drive named newdrive.
You would open Terminal and type:
cp -R stuff /Volumes/newdrive/stuff
The -R switch tells cp not to stop if there is an error like Finder does. It also makes cp copy everything in that folder, and subfolders, etc.
If this is a little over your head you might want to get local help from someone knowledgeable in Terminal and/or linux.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you but what I meant was, is there a way to set Finder to not erase everything it copied should it be stopped by an error for all processes. This computer is for a customer, so I won't be there to get around it for them. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.