file sharing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.2gHz g4, 12 inch, 60 gig, 768RAM, bluetooth, ATI radeon 9200, macally bluetooth mouse, JBL speaker
so i have my ibook G4 and my HP zv5000. there both connected to the internet through a belkin 54g wireless router. is there anyway that i can share files between the computers? my HP has mcafee and ZoneAlarm. you probably know better than i do whats on my ibook. haha. am i suppose to be able to see the other computer? thanks a bunch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
is that a wireless connection?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.2gHz g4, 12 inch, 60 gig, 768RAM, bluetooth, ATI radeon 9200, macally bluetooth mouse, JBL speaker
yes. its a belkin 54g wireless router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you enabled file sharing on both machines? on the pc, you may have to create a new
shared file or folder. on the mac, make sure sharing is on.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
have you enabled file sharing on both machines? on the pc, you may have to create a new
shared file or folder. on the mac, make sure sharing is on.

i have PERSONAL FILE SHARING enabled on my ibook. im not sure about the HP though. how do i do it in windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
on pc, right click what you wanna share, for example c drive, select sharing and security,
filesharing01.gif

all of whatever you selected contents will be shared, if you try sharing a whole disk, xp will give you a warning, ignore it, itll try to take you through the network connection wizard to enable the firewall, its up to you.
if not, the rest should be straight forward.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
on pc, right click what you wanna share, for example c drive, select sharing and security,
filesharing01.gif

all of whatever you selected contents will be shared, if you try sharing a whole disk, xp will give you a warning, ignore it, itll try to take you through the network connection wizard to enable the firewall, its up to you.
if not, the rest should be straight forward.

so then how do i see the files on either computer. like in windows, what do i go into to see the files on my mac? and vice versa?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
on windows, open network neighborhood or whatever, you have to name the mac I think,
on mac, in the finder, click go>computer, double click network, any connected and correctly configured computers should show up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
on windows, open network neighborhood or whatever, you have to name the mac I think,
on mac, in the finder, click go>computer, double click network, any connected and correctly configured computers should show up.

i have the whole c drived on my HP shared. and i have sharing enabled on my ibook. but, when i try to see the hp on my mac in finder, it says "reid vanbenthysen" which is my name, and servers. and if i click on my name, it says it cant be found because it cant find the original. and on the PC, when i look under my netowrk stuff, it only lists the files i shared on the laptop. im havin some trouble here. hmmmm

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh wait. i got the pc to see the mac, but i can't get in for some reason. what user name and passowrd do i use?

and if i click on networks undet the GO in finder, it doesnt see anything. so now im really lost.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
under go, computers, and network, the network icon is blank and i can't open it. what do i do now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
system preferences>network>select connection type and click configure, you may have to set up the network in a way that it connects to other machines through the ap card settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.