File sharing with Bootcamp/Parallels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM
Hi All

Just a quick, and potentially embarrassingly simple, question .... While working on my Windows partition through Bootcamp, I can't see any of my files on my OS X partition. Fair enough - I don't think you're supposed to be able to.

however, I also have Parallels installed. Still in the Windows partition, when i double click Parallels to see into my OS X partition, i'm told that i don't have permissions and to seek my administrator. I thought that, at least with Parallels, I should be able to file share with ease from one partition to the other?

Am I completely wrong?

Thanks,
Ali

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
alig,

You can't use a single copy of Windows in both Boot Camp and Parallels. You can only use one copy on one machine and both Boot Camp and Parallels are considered machines...

Now if you decide to use Boot Camp and activate your copy of Windows there, you won't see anything of OS X - it isn't running. The Boot Camp Windows gets 100% of the machines resources.

Now if you decide to activate Windows in Parallels, you should be able to use files between Windows and OS X on the same desktop if you choose the Convergence mode of Parallels.

To use Parallels, you have to have OS X running and then start Parallels. To use Windows there, you will have to import Windows into Parallels when you install Parallels. You can import it from the Boot Camp sector, but once you do that, Windows is now an OS X/Parallels resource and is no longer a Boot Camp resource.

A little confusing, I hope that answers the question...

Bottom line, Windows in Parallels should have full access to OS X files and vice-versa...

Noel

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM
Thanks very much Noel - this is really helpful

Ali

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.