File Overwrite Recovery Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2012, Yosemite
I just overwrote a Camtasia for Mac video project that I spent 5 hours editing. Was wondering if anyone had suggestions for how to find a previous version of the file. Was not using Time Machine. Lessoned learned.....

MBA, Yosemite

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How do you know that you over wrote it?

If you only deleted it…and haven't done much work since deleting it…it may still be there. But if it has truly been overwritten…I don't think that it's recoverable. Or at least not recoverable by any method us mere mortals can use.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2012, Yosemite
Unfortunately, it is overwritten. After originally saving the file, I opened again to use it as a basis for another file, then hit save instead of save as. So now the saved file is empty. Was hoping there was a way to find a temp file or maybe purchase some software. Otherwise, I have a long night ahead of me reediting the file from the beginning.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ahh…this is a different situation than I thought. I thought you actually deleted the file…and now would like to recover it. Versus (what it no sounds like)…you overwrote the previous version of this file with a new version. Thus you still have the file…just not the previous version.

I don't know of this will help…but give this a read:

https://feedback.techsmith.com/techsmith/topics/the_recorded_video_files_location

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2012, Yosemite
It would have been a great save but that's for PC users. Don't see anything for Mac. So I'll have to start all over again editing the file.

Reaction score
this is why a recommend two hard drives for future profing files.

Let me explain:

I am a photographer by trade i am trained as a black and white photographer and i needed a way to save my works so they wouldn't get destroyed with time so here is the professional photographers way of backing up a file and creating a file safe.

What you need is two hard drives external can be any size of your choosing

Label Drive one using disk utility as Original (this is where your non modified versions will be kept)

Label Drive two as Working (this is where you will create duplicates from the original drive that have been modified)

This way if you accidentally mess up your information you can go back to the original.

And even better on drive two you can create project folders example:

Working HD/School/Video project 1/Draft 1 (this allows you to create several working drafts)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.