File name problems

Reaction score
I have just bought an iMac 24" and generally very pleased with it. This has replaced my PowerMac 9600/300 running OS8 that has just gone into a well-earned retirement. Ten years old and I've never once had any problems that a reboot didn't correct.

As you can appreciate the iMac and OS X is a quantum leap and none of the software I used in my profession as a graphic designer would work on the new machine so I had to buy all new software, Quark, CS2 etc.

The problems I have discovered are that the Photoshop files created on the old machine can't be read by the new one. When I copied across my live jobs and looked at the folder all the PS and tif file icons were greyed-out and the file type was described as a 'Unix Executable File'. I managed to open the file by adding .psd or .tif to the files, opening in Photoshop and resaving.

The question I would like answered is whether there is a simpler way than this. It is going to be a real problem with archived jobs that need to be amended. The Quark file opened OK and, strangely, recognised the psd and tif files without the addition of file extensions.

My second problem might be related but I could not resolve it. The imac recognises jpeg files from my digital camera but it does not recognise jpeg files copied from the Internet that I could work with on the old Mac. I get an error message in Preview that says:

Couldn’t open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.

Or if I try to open the file in Photoshop:

Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG markert type is found.

I tried downloading jpegs off the Internet onto the iMac and had the same problem. The only files I could open were a couple of GIFs but not all of them!

Finally, the iMac does not recognise the fonts off the old Mac it sees them as Unix Executable Files and greys-out the icon.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Neil Barber

OP
N
Reaction score
Resolved the problem of downloading files off the Internet and not being able to view in Photoshop or preview etc. I was using AOL as the browser but I tried using Safari and, safari, so good!

Neil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Welcome to Mac-Forums Neil.

It does sound as though the jump from OS8 to OSX is causing you some issues. I have only been using the MAC OS for 2 years now and have no legacy experience to help you out with. There are some very knowledgable people on this forum who will most likely have a better answer...

My initial thought was that you will have to take the time to add the .jpg or other extention to every file you require opening and that automator may be able to help you out with that. I have not used the automator funtion, however some articles I read in MAC specific magazines in the past gave me the impression it would be great for such a task and keep you from having to open each file individually.

I hope one of the more MAC knowledgeable people are able to help you out as the issue of keeping your digital assets workable is a big one.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks Odin

The fonts problem is a big issue as there are hundreds and I don't know what the file extensions are as the iMax thinks they are Unix

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
If you know the names of the fonts, its easy to replace them. There are several places to pick them up.

Were they font packages or simply individual fonts you aquired over the years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are some free fonts. There are many sites out there, if there are any your specifically looking for this may be a good place to ask.

Here is an ap called Font Explorer that some people use.

If your looking for a Font Utility, take a look at this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.