File Contents Disappearing

Reaction score
What can I do to prevent folder contents from disappearing? Today all my folders were empty. When I made a new folder and placed documents in it, the documents disappeared, leaving new folder apparently empty, too. I turned off my Mac (OS-X) and restarted and all the content inside folders reappeared, including the new folders I had just made. What caused this and how can I prevent it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.5; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.5; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
What can I do to prevent folder contents from disappearing? Today all my folders were empty. When I made a new folder and placed documents in it, the documents disappeared, leaving new folder apparently empty, too. I turned off my Mac (OS-X) and restarted and all the content inside folders reappeared, including the new folders I had just made. What caused this and how can I prevent it?

Hi Susie... - welcome to the forum! :)

This problem has been mentioned and a little googling produces some related hits, such as This One - take a look; appears to possibly relate to the Mavericks version being used, iTunes version installed, and maybe to activation of 'Find My Mac' on your machine.

So before continuing, might provide us that information - good luck! Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.