Few questions before i get my mac

Reaction score
Hey guys, Iv been looking on these forums for about a week because i have money to get a new laptop for my birthday and the idea of a Mac popped into my head, but i dont really know that much about them!

Im thinking of getting the Macbook:

13-inch: White
2.4GHz
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
160GB hard drive1
Double-layer SuperDrive

I will be starting my 2nd year of uni in 2 weeks, so i will need it to use;

1.Word, Excel, Powerpoint - I know there is software you can buy (same as for windows) but will the file be compatable on a windows machine?

2.Will the laptop run VB (Visual Basics) and C++?

3.Is there a notepad type programe for typing in Java code?

4. I use a free piece of software called DivX which runs all types of videos on my laptop at the moment, can i download this on a Macbook?

Thats all the questions i need answering atm, if these are all yes ill be joining the Mac world, i do hate Vista :p

Thank You

Lee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
1.Word, Excel, Powerpoint - I know there is software you can buy (same as for windows) but will the file be compatable on a windows machine? Yes. Office 2008 for Mac can open files created on Windows, and vice versa. In fact iWork or Neo Office can also do the same thing, to a greater or lesser extent.

2.Will the laptop run VB (Visual Basics) and C++? VB no, C++ yes, assuming you have the right software and compilers.

3.Is there a notepad type programe for typing in Java code? Yes, textedit.

4. I use a free piece of software called DivX which runs all types of videos on my laptop at the moment, can i download this on a Macbook? Yes you can, it works pretty well.

Reaction score
1. YEs, Office 2008 can r/w similar documents on Office upto 2007 on PC.
2. The nearest to Basic is Real Basic, and there are plenty of C++ compilers including XCode from Apple, CodeWarrior etc.
3. For Java, try the NetBeans IDE from Sun, great for Java development.
4. Yes, DivX works on the Mac.

OP
L
Reaction score
WOW thanks for the quick replys, im about 90% sure ill be getting a Mac now, just a bit scared i will not like it. Im glad DivX works, i have about 400g of TV series and Films to whatch on my hardrive.

Im assuming a standard USB hardrive will work on the mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
WOW thanks for the quick replys, im about 90% sure ill be getting a Mac now, just a bit scared i will not like it. Im glad DivX works, i have about 400g of TV series and Films to whatch on my hardrive.

Im assuming a standard USB hardrive will work on the mac?

Yes, if it's FAT32 you can read and write, if it's NTFS you can read only, but they make software that gives you read and write permissions.

Reaction score
Yes any USB or Firewire hard drive will work.

If the hard drive is only going to be used on your Mac then you are better off formatting it to OSX Extended Journaled. A quick simple process.

OP
L
Reaction score
Everything seems pretty postive, also if i need to run anything i have my old laptop or i can just run boot camp, so il prob be getting a Mac soon :)

Thank you for the replies

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.