Fens Picture

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey everyone, I thought i would quickly post a picture i took today when i was travelling through the fens.

Hope you like it :)

~~ TS ~~

fens_marked.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Your shot tilts to the right, there is dust on your sensor (upper left), and there is no strong subject.

Nice stormy sky, and the B&W works well with that and the fields. Just needs something to really keep or draw attention other than the telephone poles.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your shot tilts to the right, there is dust on your sensor (upper left), and there is no strong subject.

Nice stormy sky, and the B&W works well with that and the fields. Just needs something to really keep or draw attention other than the telephone poles.

Hey Odin_aa!

Thanks for the feedback!

Composition is still one of my weakpoints, but definitly something that is coming with practice :)

As for the dirty sensor, I just havent had a chance to clean it yet since a photoshoot near the beach some time ago. Thanks for pointing it out/reminding me! :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Wow, give it to him straight :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hey everyone, I thought i would quickly post a picture i took today when i was travelling through the fens.

Hope you like it :)

~~ TS ~~

Reminds me of a photo I took while in Vermont a year or so ago.

vermontDB.jpg

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey D3v1L80Y :)

I really like that picture you've taken there. I enjoy black and white photography, and something to do with landscapes really works for me in black and white :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
It looks like Kansas(where I am from) Lots of flat nothing, and a few power lines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
It looks like Kansas(where I am from) Lots of flat nothing, and a few power lines.

My same thought. Gotta love Kansas, if you don't like the weather, wait fifteen minutes and you'll be able to see a storm coming over the horizon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Wow, give it to him straight :)

He asked, and took it well. I do not believe in telling everyone simply "Great shot" give them something to improve upon and if given honestly with respect most will take it in stride and learn.

This could of course have gone the other way with TS getting mad that I did not simply say good shot or keep too myself, I give him REP for that.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm glad he took it the right way. Often when people ask for critique what they really want is a pat on the back. Those that want to learn take suggestions onboard and improve leaving the others behind.

My one suggestion is to use the rule of thirds.

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/rule-of-thirds/

Keep the landscapes coming TS, I'm not very good at them but like seeing them in B&W.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It was a little blunt, but good feedback. I hope if I come to the forum for opinions I will get the same.

As one who manages (or, used to manage) people, I know it's sometimes hard to give constructive criticism because people tend to take it as a personal attack rather than someone trying to help them.

IT's though to make that separation sometimes, but those who can are able to better themselves. Just another reason I love this forum; for the most part, you can be rather candid and and people don't get immature about things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Often when people ask for critique what they really want is a pat on the back. Those that want to learn take suggestions onboard and improve leaving the others behind.
I concur. I have seen quite a few people get way too moody and upset when someone doesn't like their work or when a weak point is revealed. If someone wants a critique, then they had better expect that some may do just that.
It is fine to be direct and even a little blunt, but it isn't okay when someone is just a plain jerk about things. I have seen quite a bit of that as well. People pointing out fault after fault, yet making no attempt to find at least one positive thing to say. Nobody's work is perfect, mine included.
I also agree that while he was direct, Odin gave an honest and constructive critque. Odin wasn't being a jerk at all. He was being constructive.
The whole point of a "constructive" criticism is to not only point out positives, but also weaker points... AND to offer suggestions for the future to hopefully correct or avoid those weak points. Odin did just that with his analysis.

I wouldn't expect any different if I were to ask for a critique on anything I might offer up.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey :)

Odin_aa's feedback was straight to the point, but to be honest, thats exactly how I need feedback if im ever to learn from my mistakes :)

On other forums, I see people just saying "Great photo" and "Well done" but offer no real criticism from which to improve from!

So thanks to Odin_aa and the others who have helped, I appreciate the time.

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
He asked, and took it well. I do not believe in telling everyone simply "Great shot" give them something to improve upon and if given honestly with respect most will take it in stride and learn.

This could of course have gone the other way with TS getting mad that I did not simply say good shot or keep too myself, I give him REP for that.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to bash you there... it just came as a bit of a surprise.
But you obviously know your stuff, so props to you for giving some valuable input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo

not every picture has to adhere to all the rules. I actually like the picture (minus the sensor dust). The lack of a central subject shows the bareness of the land

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very true MBasile, most photographs do not adhere to all of the standard rules however generally speaking using the rules as a guideline helps make better images.

Also true is every person that views an image will see it differently than the other, some shots will appeal to some and not too others...by using the guides you simply are able to create shots that more people find attractive. As you point out here, the shot does show the bareness of the land however for me if it lacked the telephone poles on each side of the frame it would show that better however for me still needs something to make it a "Better" image.

Photo Critic's are simply the viewers perspective of what they see, different people have different likes and styles. When I recieve a critic on my work, I may not agree with the information but I listen too it and store that information away for future use.

The exception is when the critic is so far off base...like one shot I had was entered for judging in a local competition, a judge scored it a 13 out of 15 points and used the justification "Too much photoshop creating a unrealistic depth of field, you need to be lighter handed with photoshop". The funny thing is the shot in question had not been photoshopped at all and was purely the DOF of an image taken at 85mm f/1.4 from about 10' away so the DOF was very shallow. Sometimes people make assumptions about images and need to be corrected, but I understood where he came from as many of the photographs submitted to that competition were heavily photoshopped...I will stop my rambling now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.