fairpoint dsl

Reaction score
I am trying to fix a problem I have had for about 7 months.
I have Fairpoint dsl where I live and thats it. I am in the country and have copper wire. Yes the lines are old.
My dsl goes out at least once a day and I have to power cycle the modem and it works for awhile. This problem is worse in the summer when the summer folks return and better fall and winter.
When the dsl fails and then returns the dsl light is green and the internet is green but I can't get on the internet.
The strange thing is that sometimes this power book pro that I have will get on ok but all my iPhones, iPads and my wife's powerbook can't until I power cycle the modem.
The real strange thing is that this computer sometimes can't get on the internet but can use FaceTime and Skype.
This computer is about 3 years old running 10.9.5. One iPad 2 and one mini. two iPhones 5s.
I am sorry this is so long winded.
any thoughts?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The next time the drop-off occurs, contact Fairpoint and have them check to see if they can see the DSL modem and talk to it. If they can't, the issue is likely the wires connecting the modem to the DSL repeater/central office..

Speaking of central office, how far are you from it?

OP
I
Reaction score
The next time the drop-off occurs, contact Fairpoint and have them check to see if they can see the DSL modem and talk to it. If they can't, the issue is likely the wires connecting the modem to the DSL repeater/central office..

Speaking of central office, how far are you from it?

They have been working on this problem since last April. I have finally resorted to putting an electronic switch so that a few times a day the modem reboots.
I am about 1.5 miles from the central office and have replaced everything including a dedicated line for the dsl.
When it goes out and returns I can't browse but FaceTime is ok.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you have issues using the browser to surf websites but applications like Message, FaceTime, Skype and others continue to work. It might indicate issues with the DNS (Domain Name Server). The latter applications don't need to search for their servers since they are known to the applications and don't change. Once a connection is made, it is established at a much lower level and remains functioning.

Another test you can run is the following, when everything is working grab the IP address of Google by opening up the Terminal and typing in "ping google.com". Jot down that IP address (hit ctrl-c to stop) and wait for the connection to drop and return, then open the Terminal again and type in "ping <ip address of Google>" and see if your ping succeed or if you get failures. Then type in "ping google.com" again and see if that succeeds to not only find Google's IP address but pings it as well. It is OK if the IP address changes for Google, but the end result you are looking for is a successful ping.

If after a connection restart you can ping Google through the previously recorded IP address only and can't by name, then the DNS is your immediate culprit and can be fixed by switching to a different one than what you are using right now. Unless you've made this change, you are likely using the DNS provided by your ISP, you can switch it to Google's DNS at 8.8.8.8 and see if pinging by name works after a connection restart.

This will directly fix your browsing issue..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.