Failure to back up on Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (mid 2011), MacBook Air 11", iPhone 5S, Airport Extreme, WD External Hard Drive via Airport Ext
Anyone got any ideas? I've all of a sudden (last week) been unable to back-up using Time Machine. Keep getting the message 'Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “Jamie's AirPort Extreme”.' and 'Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder.'
I have an iMac connected via ethernet cable to an Airport Extreme which is connected to a WD My Studio external hard drive. My Macbook Air backs up fine as does my son's MBP (both via wireless) I've tried backing up my iMac wirelessly and get the same problem so I guess it's not a cable issue. Any thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
What version of OS X are you running? I know Yosemite has issues and the latest update -10.10.2 - is supposed to fix it. Otherwise we will need more information about your iMac - model and version of OS X.

LIsa

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (mid 2011), MacBook Air 11", iPhone 5S, Airport Extreme, WD External Hard Drive via Airport Ext
Hi Lisa
It's an iMac 21.5 in, Mid 2011. 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5. 4GB 1333MHz DDR3. OS X 10.10.1.
Is that the sort of info you meant
J

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just downloaded OS X 10.10.2 and didn't make any difference.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are all your Macs backing up to the same WD external hard drive which you have attached to the AE? If so, how much space is left on the drive? There may not be enough space to complete a backup of your iMac.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I've got 600GB free of 1TB.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, I've got 600GB free of 1TB.

Then, your iMac backup file may have become corrupt. When Time Machine displays that error, it can mean several things: Not enough space, block errors on the drive, or the backup file has become corrupt. The only cure for a corrupt backup file is to erase it and start over. Of course that destroys all your iMac saved backups.

I've had problems with Time Machine before and had to start over, however, I keep a redundant backup using Carbon Copy Cloner just in case....

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think your right in that it must be corrupt. How do I erase that back-up? Do you think it was just an unfortunate occurrence or could it be a corrupt file I'm trying to back up? I suppose I'm asking, is it likely to happen again? Many thanks.
J

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can erase the file as you would any other normal file. Make sure though that you erase the correct file since you're doing multiple backups on that drive.

Why did it become corrupt and will it happen again.... It's hard to say, however, it's never a good idea to depend on only one backup especially if you have data that is not replaceable such as family photos. (And backing up a corrupt file would not corrupt the entire backup.)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've deleted the files on the WD External via Finder, but the problem is still happening. Any other ideas?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally had to take the nuclear option. Reformatted the external hard drive and started al over again. It's now doing a 5 hour backup. Let's see if fixes the problem long term.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well all was going well until ........... I've noticed something curious. I wanted to check that the files had been backed up so I went to take a look. I went to Finder/Shared/Airport Extreme/Family Back Up (which is the name of the external drive) and all I could see there is my iMac icon. Before, this is where my backups.backupdb files could be found. Now they're gone. However, the Icon file is 110GB. Even curiouser, up popped the Time Machine in the 'Devices' section with all the right files in it. Any thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.