Factory reset

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
OK, I don't want to make this even more complex, but your questions have multiple answers. First, can you use it as it is? Yes, just select the 1tb as the install drive instead of the SSD and ignore the SSD. (EDIT: YOU can set the default boot to the HDD instead of the SSD and never see the SSD. end EDIT) You can even erase the SSD entirely and leave it in some non-Apple format (you can do that with Disk Utility after getting the 1TB going) and it won't come into the mix at all.

But that brings a new issue to the foreground--APFS is designed for SSDs and is relatively inefficient on rotating drives. You would avoid some of that inefficiency with a fusion, but not all of it, so the downside here is kind of likely to be small. You would already be taking a hit in performance from losing fusion, the additional lost performance in being only on the rotating drive would be marginal on top of the lost fusion efficiencies. You didn't say why you wanted to do a factory reset, you only said, "And the reason for the fresh install is because there were things that were very annoying."

The issue with the too small to update/upgrade was caused by the broken fusion and the fact you installed the OS to the SSD, which is, in fact, too small for both the OS and the upgrade files. Had the fusion been in place, it would have worked just fine for the update. If you leave the fusion broken and install to the rotating drive, space won't be an issue at all, it's a TB of space!

So it's up to you. But for me, I would do the re-fusing, then install to the fused drive and get back the fusion efficiencies. The fact that there will be inefficiencies from APFS on a rotational drive will still be there, but it won't be added to the loss of fusion efficiency and speeds.

If the fusion process goes south, you really haven't lost anything as you can still follow chscag's advice and get a professional to sort it out. Might cost some, but you would be up and running. From my point of view, at this point trying the process in the Apple article has very little downside to giving it a go.

But I'm fearless, so there is that...do you want to take the advice of a crazy ex-Naval Aviator? :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But I'm fearless, so there is that...do you want to take the advice of a crazy ex-Naval Aviator? :)

LOL, not exactly encouraging Jake. :p

OP
S
Reaction score
I think I might opt for the option to leave things as they are now...because the process of refusing the drives is pretty much a no go solution for me since it looks extremely complicated, and this is something that has to be done correctly to the T...or else things might even turn out worse then they are right now and thats not a risk I am willing to take.

So you said that that its possible to leave the fusion broken as it is right now and install the OS to the rotating drive...sounds like a simple process...if only I knew how its done considering how things are now.
The OS is currently installed on a small ssd volume of 27GB...do I have to erase and unmount this volume first...and then how do I reinstall the OS to the rotating 1TB HDD drive?...

I just need to know these steps and I am good to go.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Boot into Recovery (CMD-R at power up, hold until you see the Recovery screen). What I would do next is to go to Disk Utility and just verify that the drive with HDD in the name is formatted and blank. From your screenshots, it is, but a check doesn't hurt. Then leave DU and go back to the Recovery Screen and select to Install the OS. When asked, point to the drive with HDD in the name and let it run. Eventually it should finish and boot to the Welcome screen and process. If you have a system to recover from (a backup), you can use Migration Assistant when offered the opportunity, if you want. Once all is done and established, you can go into System Preferences and pick the HDD drive as the Startup drive. That makes the HDD the default boot drive. If you want to use the SSD as a second small drive for some purpose, you can use Disk Utility to format it and leave it blank until you need it.

That's it.

I still recommend trying the fusion. Either it works or not. There's not much downside. But it is up to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Recreate your fusion drive,

To use Internet Recovery press and hold option+command+R at startup.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#exceptions

The issue, as I see it, is that you need to boot/startup from a different drive. You may be able to install the OS to the larger 1TB HDD, then you should be able to erase the SSD portion. Then recreate the fusion drive. You will then be able to install macOS updates/upgrades.

Another thing you can try is if you already have an installer downloaded, you can create a bootable USB installer using a flash/thumb drive (16GB).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The issue, as I see it, is that you need to boot/startup from a different drive. You may be able to install the OS to the larger 1TB HDD, then you should be able to erase the SSD portion. Then recreate the fusion drive. You will then be able to install macOS updates/upgrades.
That won't work, Bob. Both drives that are going to be fused will be erased in the fusion. And you can't erase the drive from which the system is booted. So to recreate the fusion drive, the system must be booted from a third drive, which normally means an external, either a "real" drive or a thumb drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, I know that. I was thinking get the installer downloaded to the 1TB hdd after the OS was installed to it. Then make the bootable USB installer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, ok, maybe I misread your post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.