FaceBook issues

Reaction score
Recently FaceBook changed its appearance. I will not go through the outward changes as those who use FB will be familiar and I have no idea what changed internally at FB. My issue is that since this occurred, I keep getting notices that the website is using excessive memory and things slow down considerably. I usually just shut down FB and Safari and run a Clean my Mac scan. This is now a daily occurrence and is becoming bothersome. I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with the new version of FB and have you discovered a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Without knowing which macOS version you are running, look for an extension to clean up Facebook. Or look for content blockers in general.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Definitely not a problem for the 2 mins I spend on FB at sporadic times in Brave. This sounds like you should be reporting to FB about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Excessive memory use for a website is a website problem and there is nothing you can do to fix it, AFAIK. I generally just leave the website when I get that warning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I recently had an issue with my personal page on Facebook. I basically had a notice on it from Facebook that it was broken and they were working on it. I had already moved to the new look - because they forced it. But our church facebook page was fine as was one of my friends. As far as it causing overloading of your mac's memory - that I have not seen. We stream HD video to Facebook weekly using a computer with 8GB memory and have no issues with memory. We use Chrome as the browser.

As other's have stated - it would help to know what version of OSX you are using and what are the specs of your mac. Also - not a fan of CleanMyMac. If a website is utilizing too much memory then closing the website and browser should be sufficient to clear the memory.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I had a couple problems also, most notably trying to update my profile (couldn't do it) and trying to post something in a Marketplace (couldn't do that either). I also had some "broken" error messages, but no "out of memory" messages. I switched to Brave and it worked fine. After reading this thread, it occurred to me that the problem might be a bad cookie or caching issue, so clearing all of that did the trick here. I use a cookie manager that made this easy for me, but what you can do is just use Onyx and check the box under the Maintenance section for Internet, then click the Options button on the right and check Browser cache and Cookies and other site data. These are all you should need to do, so feel free to uncheck everything else, or leave the rest of the defaults checked to do a refresh of your system and user caches while you are at it. Then hit OK and Run Tasks. That should fix you up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
If you have, or install, FB Purity you can go back to the old Facebook indefinitely. I hated the new look - type too big, too much wasted space.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for that Sue. I can't stand the way Facebook looks with all the extraneous fluff and junk. I'll have to give FB Purity a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you have, or install, FB Purity you can go back to the old Facebook indefinitely. I hated the new look - type too big, too much wasted space.

Huh. Interesting. This installs as a ruleset to my adblocker. I kinda like that! I used something like this years ago, maybe even these same guys but thought it was defunct. Glad to see it's kicking around in this form. I've been very keen to kill some of Facebook's more irritating aspects.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I usually just shut down FB and Safari and run a Clean my Mac scan. This is now a daily occurrence and is becoming bothersome.

Don't know how often you reboot this computer...first thing I would do is reboot the computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Recently FaceBook changed its appearance. I will not go through the outward changes as those who use FB will be familiar and I have no idea what changed internally at FB. My issue is that since this occurred, I keep getting notices that the website is using excessive memory and things slow down considerably. I usually just shut down FB and Safari and run a Clean my Mac scan. This is now a daily occurrence and is becoming bothersome. I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with the new version of FB and have you discovered a solution?

I called Apple about this same issue. My computer has massive memory, but after some scrolling I get the "using excessive memory" message and everything slows down and becomes less responsive. Apple is just becoming aware of this, according to the tech I spoke with, and says it is a Facebook issue. I suspect it is a Facebook/Safari issue since, in my experience, a lot of sites have Safari issues. I do not have the problem using the Firefox browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.