Facebook blank page

Reaction score
I tried to block an ad on Facebook. This left me with a blank Facebook page. I am unable to connect to Facebook.com which gives me a blank page with the address on the top. I am unable to connect to any of the Facebook options. I have a iMac and Safari. I am able to connect normally on my iPhone/iPad, Firefox, and other computers. Note I have Yosemite and using Facebook without problems until last evening

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I tried to block an ad on Facebook. This left me with a blank Facebook page.

I didn't see any questions in your post;)…but I'm assuming you are trying to figure out how to get access to you Facebook. All I can suggest is…undo what you did.

You said that you tried to block an ad on Facebook…so undo what you did in an attempt to do this.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, I am trying to get Facebook back. Since I can't go in, I can't undo. At the blank page with 'Facebook.com" as the login page, I get a blank. If I push button 2 on the mouse a command comes up that says "undo my blocks on this domain." However, nothing happens. I presume something went into the library that needs to be reversed, since it is only on this computer and doesn't affect any other web sites. I can send a screen picture if you don't understand.
HELP, any there suggestions?
mjshack

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just use a different browser to access your Facebook page. Why can't you do that?

OP
M
Reaction score
Because I like Safari and feel that I don't want to install other browser. Why can't this problem be fixed? I can seem to get no help from Facebook that has caused this inconvenience. It seems to me a problem that could be fixed in my Safari settings.
mjshack

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Explain in greater detail JUST what you did and then perhaps we can help you fix whats broken. We don't have any idea what you did to cause this..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Because I like Safari and feel that I don't want to install other browser.

That's all well and good, but if you want to fix what you broke you're going to need to get on Facebook. You should always keep a second browser installed for emergency purposes. And no one is suggesting that you abandon Safari, just use another browser to help fix the problem.

OP
M
Reaction score
Moderator:
DETAILS about what happened: I was presented a post that included a large ad for Farm...? game. It continued to come up. I right clicked and it asked if I would like to remove ads from this place. I confirmed and it gave me a slider to pull across the ad until it was gone. At that point there was nothing left on the screen except the web site page at the top. All info on my facebook page had been wiped out.

Administrator:
Attempts top return to the page revealed the bank page, and nowhere to log in. When I get on Facebook in my iPad, there is no place for me to get any help so that I can undo it!!!
Hope that helps.
Mike Shack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
In your Safari, try going to Preferences > Extensions and turn the switch to off and try your FB page again.

Or boot up using Safe Boot mode and try again.

If neither of those work, head off and download AdwareMedic, run it and restart and try again.
Download from here: AdwareMedic

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you, it worked turning off extensions. I was able to keep the extension fro 1Password, thank goodness. I can now get o n Facebook.
mjshack

C

chas_m

So, let's summarize what we've learned:

1. You have some kind of ad-blocker installed in Safari that you do not know how to use. That being the case, turn it off.

2. This has nothing to do with Facebook, and it didn't cause the issue. Safari didn't cause the issue. Apple didn't cause the issue. You caused the issue.

3. In a text-based forum like this where we have to rely on your story to understand what's going on, include LOTS OF DETAILS. If you'd said something about the ad-blocker or plug-in blocker you've installed (which you still haven't), chances are you would have gotten a quick reply with exact instructions on what to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.