Facebook and Catalina.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Good morning all, hope all is well? Now all my family are on Facebook and I am out on a limb because I do not have Facebook on my iMac because it is running Catalina, as is my MacBook Air. Is it possible for me to install High Sierra and run Facebook off it on the side as one might say? I have an icon in my launch pad saying "install High Sierra" -- can I do just that, install High Sierra and run Facebook off it as a stand alone thingy or is that much too easy ie cloud cuckoo land? Thank you.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England. Stay well and Stay Safe!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Reaction score
OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi pine man, thank you for your reply along with the link which I followed but under the first paragraph there is a 'note saying that Mojave and Catalina will not run Facebook! I think it is because Mojave and Catalina are 64bit compliant only and will not run 32bit software (but that is just a guess) In other words Facebook is not compatible with Mojave or Catalina or the other way round I suppose.

Regards from Keith in Derby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Ahhh.

Sorry, I must have been using it in my web browser like Neil.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi pine man, I also now just use it from a web page not from an installed bit of software. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Neil, Thank you, your comment made me use just a webpage as a carrier for Facebook and it works a treat. Thank you very much.

Keith in Derby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I try to avoid installing apps that spy on me like Facebook and Facebook Messenger. I do use Facebook to track my grandchildren, but only through a browser and only with some security in place.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think it is because Mojave and Catalina are 64bit compliant only and will not run 32bit software

Just for info as I know you have solved your problem, Keith - 32 bit apps will run up to and including macOS Mojave. It was from macOS Catalina that they ditched all 32 bit applications.

Ian

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake and Ian, many thanks for your comments. Jake it is a case of needs must when the Devil drives! A part from spending lots of money I am looking for the cheapest way to trace a long lost daughter from my first marriage. The main reason for the cheap way is no lost expenditure should she decide not to contact me, it ha been fifty years since I last saw her a small girl!!! Due to age and health problems I do not drive and do not have a licence.

Ian, oh thank you for that bit of info, I thought loss of 32bit began with Mojave. So yet again I am wrong.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Keith,

I wish you every success in contacting your daughter. It's a nice story - let's hope it has a happy ending. :) (y)

That endeavour may turn out to be easier than mastering Facebook:unsure:

Good luck!

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 5K 27" i9 3.6Ghz. 3TB, 8Gb, Vega 48, Sonoma, 15 Pro Max, iPad M1, MBP M1, AppleTV, Watches
@Keith Don't forget the old faithful BT.
Like any search you need names and places. Is she married now. Has she been in any forces / services that you know of ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I try to avoid installing apps that spy on me like Facebook and Facebook Messenger. I do use Facebook to track my grandchildren, but only through a browser and only with some security in place.

Same here. I don't even have their app on my iPhone. I just use Safari. Their app did some shady stuff in the past, something like using the microphone access to forcibly keep the app alive in the background. It was murder on the battery life.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The story of where, why, how and because is much too long and private to be broadcast on here or any other web page. The reason behind this new desire is purely to warn my daughter of a possible medical thing that I suffer from being hereditary; it can be passed on and develop in my children - and it can kill. It is a not very common type of cancer that I now suffer from. Needs must when the devil drives as the saying goes.
Please, no sympathies as I am much too old to worry about it all, life goes on and on!!!

Regards from Keith in Derby England.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.