Face ID stopped working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
All of a sudden FaceID is not working. iPhone 12 Pro Max IOS 17.1.2.

I tried doing the reset and that did not work. I really don't recall how the original setup went so I can't be sure how well I am doing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Settings>Face ID & Passcode>Enter a passcode. Follow the instructions. It's pretty hard to muck it up.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, agree with Jake, try doing a new one then delete the older one, maybe you've changed?😄

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I just re-read the original post and now I'm reading it that you reset it and then tried again to establish a new one and it didn't work. If that is the right interpretation, the key is to keep moving your head in a circle, imagining a clock face in front of you and looking from 12 to 1 to 2 to 3... all the way round. You'll see your face with a circle of lines around it to show the progress in reading your face. If there are any showing as not set, move your head in that direction until all the lines show as read.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
Thanks. This morning it seems to have cooperated. Hopefully there will be no more issue. I shall see.

I am a little unclear about the what and why though. First "Settings>Face ID & Passcode>Enter a passcode" - when I got to Face ID & Passcode I see a page of things starting with USE FACE ID FOR with four things - iPhone Unlock, etc. and Other Apps 7 apps. I didn't/don't actually see "Enter a passcode". I was seeing that all four of those switches were off for some reason - iPhone Unlock, etc. Last night when I tried clicking iPhone Unlock it jumped into a process of looking at my face. It was different from what I got this morning just now.

This morning it came up with my face in a circle that rotated around for a little bit with me moving and marks building up around the circle. That seems to have worked this morning, and when it completed all four switches were on and all seems normal.

Last night rather than a circle the camera image looking at my face filled the screen area, with four rounded corners marked within it. It kept saying to move, face not in, move lower, etc. It eventually failed each time I tried. As I said this morning it seemed to go as you all say - easy, just automatically using the circle.

he mysteries, maybe for another day, are why did it need resetting at all, and what was going on with the process. I can only note that it was night and the rooms I tried in were pretty dark so what it was seeing may just not have been satisfactory.

Anyway, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
when I got to Face ID & Passcode I see a page of things
... You needed to enter your Passcode to get there, didn't you?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.