extract data

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 MBP Glossy 2GB Ram
How do I extract data on a Mac that just sits on the back ground pic. it is a 2002 iMac do I pull the HD and connect it to a external HD enclosure? any in site will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
If you have another Mac, the easiest thing would be target disk mode.

Boot the troubled Mac holding the "T" key. Then when the Firewire logo appears, connect the Macs with a firewire cable. The HD of the sad mac will mount as a firewire HD on the other Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I thought the mac had to be running at least 10.4 for this to work. I'm not so sure. As my old imac didn't have a firewire port so I couldn't do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought the mac had to be running at least 10.4 for this to work. I'm not so sure. As my old imac didn't have a firewire port so I couldn't do it.

It's in the firmware not the OS. As long as there are firewire ports on the Mac target disk mode should work. This is true at least for "New World" Macs circa 1998.

-------------------------------------------

Billy Joel....come on , really?

Reaction score
If you attempt to mount an Intel-based Mac in Target Disk Mode on a Macintosh running Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier, you'll see an alert message that says "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read."

As far as the target requirements go, most of the modern Macs can indeed use Target Disk Mode.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 MBP Glossy 2GB Ram
His iMac has Firewire, and so dose my MBP. However I do not have 76 gb of free space on it.... Can i plug in a external HD to my MBP and have this still work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 MBP Glossy 2GB Ram
SWEET!!! that work like a champ!! I was able to view all his data!!! copy, delete, move, and what ever you wanted to do with it!! the down side is that it took 2hr to copy 62.5gb... the set-up was as such... iMac firewire MBP USB2.0 iBook External HD 500gb. thank you all very much for all the help!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.