External Speaker missing

Reaction score
Hi, Ive just noticed that my external speakers arent working and the link in the sound preference is missing. Ive been using airplay to the my appletv which seems to have overidden it. Can anyone please let me know how to fix the problem? (in laymans terms please) thanks Carol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi, Ive just noticed that my external speakers arent working and the link in the sound preference is missing. Ive been using airplay to the my appletv which seems to have overidden it. Can anyone please let me know how to fix the problem? (in laymans terms please) thanks Carol

Hello Carol - welcome to the forum! :) NOW, are you an informed layman or just an every day Joe? ;)

You really need to give us more information: 1) What computer are you using (model/year); 2) What OS X is installed; 3) What is the brand/model of your external speakers; and 4) How are these speakers attached to your setup, e.g. to your stereo receiver/tuner, TV, or other - might help if you want specific advice. Dave

OP
B
Reaction score
Hello Carol - welcome to the forum! :) NOW, are you an informed layman or just an every day Joe? ;)

You really need to give us more information: 1) What computer are you using (model/year); 2) What OS X is installed; 3) What is the brand/model of your external speakers; and 4) How are these speakers attached to your setup, e.g. to your stereo receiver/tuner, TV, or other - might help if you want specific advice. Dave

Hi Dave, Ive got Vosemite installed, Logitech with 2 speakers and subwoofer and attached to the pc via green port in the back of my mac. My imac is model no A1311, which Ive just taken off the package box.

Im a bit more than the every day Joe but not an informed layman lol

Carol
PS I know I havent given you enough information but I dont know how to explain it :(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have turned the speakers off and back on?
Have you checked the plugs - as in unplug them and plug them back in - both the cable to the iMac and the power cable for the speakers?
Are the speakers plugged into one of those power strips with an on/off button - tried that button?

OP
B
Reaction score
Have turned the speakers off and back on?
Have you checked the plugs - as in unplug them and plug them back in - both the cable to the iMac and the power cable for the speakers?
Are the speakers plugged into one of those power strips with an on/off button - tried that button?

Ive plugged in my iphone and the speakers work. When I plug in the apple headphones there is no sound either. How do I test the speaker port at the back of the mac?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you restarted the iMac?

If you mean you tried headphones in the headphone jack on the iMac and no sound and no option for selecting the headphones (while they are connected) in Sound preferences:

Try a SMC reset.

Shut down the computer.
Unplug the computer's power cord.
Wait fifteen seconds.
Attach the computer's power cord.
Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

OP
B
Reaction score
Have you restarted the iMac?

If you mean you tried headphones in the headphone jack on the iMac and no sound and no option for selecting the headphones (while they are connected) in Sound preferences:

Try a SMC reset.

Shut down the computer.
Unplug the computer's power cord.
Wait fifteen seconds.
Attach the computer's power cord.
Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

yes tried the headphones in the headphone jack on the imac and and I cant hear any sound via the headphones but the headphones show in the sound preference. Tried to SMC reset and nothing changed

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the headphones are now showing in sound preferences - then can only guess that you have the volume either muted or turned down all the way somewhere.

If you are listening to iTunes - you need to check the volume in 2 places - the master volume (which you should have up on the menu bar) and the volume slider in iTunes.

edit:
And when testing audio, you should test it in at least 2 different places - I would test both iTunes and a web site - maybe youtube or vimeo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.