External monitor blurry after Pro Retina...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I switched from a 2011 MBP to a new Retina pro - both are running Yosemite. When using the same 2nd external monitor, it is pixelated now. I read online that people have had the same problem, but I haven't seen a real fix ither than downgrading to an earlier version of Yosemite, but I'm past that point because both pros are running the same software and only the retina one is a problem. Any ideas? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When using the external monitor with your rMBP, how do you have it setup? In other words, is it set to Mirror? Set to its native resolution? Also, have you tried using the external monitor with your rMBP in clamshell mode?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When using the external monitor with your rMBP, how do you have it setup? In other words, is it set to Mirror? Set to its native resolution? Also, have you tried using the external monitor with your rMBP in clamshell mode?

It is not set to mirror. Also, I'm not able to adjust brightness because it's not a VGA hookup. It's DVI to a thunderbolt adapter. I'm not sure what you mean about the clamshell mode.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think what you mean is you're using a MiniDisplayPort (or Thunderbolt) to DVI adapter from your rMBP to the DVI video input of the external monitor. However, you should be able to adjust the brightness. I'm assuming you're not running the external monitor from your rMBP while you're on battery only?

Clamshell mode is where you close the lid of your rMBP and only the external monitor is active. To do that though, you would need an external keyboard and mouse.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think what you mean is you're using a MiniDisplayPort (or Thunderbolt) to DVI adapter from your rMBP to the DVI video input of the external monitor. However, you should be able to adjust the brightness. I'm assuming you're not running the external monitor from your rMBP while you're on battery only?

Clamshell mode is where you close the lid of your rMBP and only the external monitor is active. To do that though, you would need an external keyboard and mouse.

Yes, that's how it's set up and no, I haven't used it in clamshell mode. I can adjust the brightness, but that doesn't do anything to help the sharpness

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Re-read post #2, and then answer the second question.

I tried all the resolution options and none made it clearer - only shrink the picture, but the words were still pixelated and had rough edges.

C

chas_m

So you're not going to give us the specifics we've asked for to help you solve the problem, in other words.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you're not going to give us the specifics we've asked for to help you solve the problem, in other words.

What "specific" question haven't I answered?

C

chas_m

What is the *native resolution* of the monitor you are having trouble with?
What is the brand and model?
Do you have Universal Access turned on?
Can you post a photo of the screen so we can see what you're talking about, and then the same screen hooked to a PC so we can see any differences?
What settings do you have set for the second monitor EXACTLY (screenshot would be helpful)?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the *native resolution* of the monitor you are having trouble with?
What is the brand and model?
Do you have Universal Access turned on?
Can you post a photo of the screen so we can see what you're talking about, and then the same screen hooked to a PC so we can see any differences?
What settings do you have set for the second monitor EXACTLY (screenshot would be helpful)?

-I used a website and both the MBP and the Dell S2740L are set to 1280x800
-I don't have Universal access, it's called accessibility on my computer and I don't see any on/off button
-I've attached screenshots of the MBP monitor and the Dell as well as the settings on the Dell monitor- I don't have a PC.

-The main thing that is odd is that it worked great on my old macbook pro, but not this one.

I appreciate your help

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3595.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3597.JPG

IMG_3598.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.