External HD Sync

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
Hey guys I have a question for you, although it may be kind of stupid. Basically I'm looking for an easier way to transfer stuff from my local HD on my MBP to my external HD (a WD Passport). On my external drive, I have all my school notes, downloaded movies, and iTunes music. For me, these three things are changing and updating everyday. In order to keep everything up to date, what I have been doing is plugging in my external HD, erasing everything off of it, and then re-transfering all of that on to it a couple times a week. I know there has to be an easier way to do this, without having to erase everything and re-do it. I was thinking maybe there is a way to just sync the local drive and external drive, much like an iPod does with iTunes. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated, I'm a total noob when it comes to this. Thanks!:headphone

Reaction score
Check out SuperDuper. It creates an image of your hard drive and then you can set it up to only back up the changes to your data.

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
Thanks for the suggestion cath. I downloaded it and it's copying right now. I just followed the directions it gave me and it seems like it's just creating an exact copy of everything that's on my internal drive. Is that right? What happens next time I run the program?

Reaction score
You can set it to do a "Smart Update," which will copy only those files which changed since the last time you ran a full backup.

Read the documentation. This is a very powerful program!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.