External HD Noob needs help.

Reaction score
I ordered a LaCie Big Disk Extreme (500 Gb), which is to arrive later this week.

I'm still new to Mac and its workings, so I would like your opinion on the following:

I'd want to partition this drive into 3 segments:

1) Backup (I'm slowly running out of space on my iDisk)
2) Time-Machine (when ever Leopard plans on being released)
3) Storing my files: Docs, music, movies, etc.

And here are the Questions:

1) What do I use to partition my drive?
2) How much space should I allocate for Time-Machine?
3) What is this Journaled business? Should my drive be journaled or whatever?
4)Am I forgetting anything else?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
1. You can use the built in Disk Utility to format and partition it.
2. Depends on your hard drive size, and how much data you want to back up.
3. I use journaled, but I can't remember what the difference is, someone else should know.
4. if you think of any, ask

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
1) See StretchR's post
2) See StrechR's post... but without TimeMachine even being out it's all guesses at this point.
3) Use Mac OS extended Journaling.... Journaling helps prevent data loss/corruption from file-system errors. Would be helpful because the drive is external and may get disconnected unexpectedly (If this happens, the journal keeps a record of the last transactions that occurred and it can replay them if there are inconsistencies in the file-system).
4) See StretchR's post...

OP
T
Reaction score
1) Thanks Guys
2) I think I will allocate 75 Gb
3) Thanks Guys

4) if I partition the drive into 3, let's say 50 -50 - 400 (total 500 Gb), and I put some files into all three partitions.

Now, let's say for reasons unknown (like time machine wants a 1 Tb drive, or something equally ridiculous) I need to modify some partitions, can I wipe and combine partitions 1 and 2, WITHOUT losing any data on partition 3 ?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
No, to change the partitions, you'll need to wipe the drive, unless you buy some software that is supposed to be able to re-partition on the fly, but not sure how well it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Someone suggested in another thread a software called "DriveGenius", that's supposed to change partition's size on the fly, without loosing your data.

Reaction score
how do you partition a drive into ms-dos (250 gb) and ntfs (250 gb)? not sure how to do it in a mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
mac cannot create a ntfs partition. this protocol is microsoft only. check the options in disk utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.