External harddrive from my old harddrive?

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is the right place! My late 2008, aluminum body 13" MacBook finally kicked the bucket a week or so ago. Pretty sure it's the logic board, but I'm holding out hope it may just one day magically revive itself. But, until then, I really want to remove my old hard drive and get some stuff off of it.

I'm 90% confident it's not my hard drive that's the problem, since it suddenly shut off one day when I unplugged it and never came back on. My problem is I don't know what to get to put my hard drive into to move files? I read that it was something you can do, so I'm hoping to do so. It's not detrimental, as I'm smart enough to have everything important backed up, but I have a bunch of random other stuff I want. It's a want, not a need, so if it can't be done I won't be crushed.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are a number several devices that can be used to do this. I have one similar to this because it can handle both the 2.5" laptop drive and 3.5" desktop drive. I use this for drives that I don't need to use every day or will only use infrequently. If you are going to use the drive on a more permanent basis then an enclosure such as this should work. I've used similar ones before with no problems. These are available from several manufacturers in a range of prices.

Here are a few things to remember:
1. If the drive you are using the enclosure with comes from a laptop you need an enclosure that handles 2.5" drives.
2. Desktop drives need enclosures that can handle 3.5" drives.
3. Some of the enclosures cary a warning in the fine print that says something to the effect of don't use them with drives that already contain data. Avoid these unless you are willing to erase the content of the drive.

Reaction score
... My problem is I don't know what to get to put my hard drive into to move files? I read that it was something you can do...

This article should help a lot:

Build Your Own External Hard Drive
http://macs.about.com/od/diyguidesprojects/ss/externalhdcase.htm

Basically you need a 2.5-inch case kit,
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...h+hard+drive+case+usb+3.0?tag=macforums0e4-20
and you need the instructions for how to remove the hard drive from your Macbook so that you can install it in the case kit. I'd link to the precise instructions, but you didn't say which model of Macbook you have (Air or Pro?). You can probably find the instructions here:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.