W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB
Yes, I believe it was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Does the drive show up in Disk Utility??

But this thread seems a bit bizarre with the problems going on for over three weeks now and forty posts and it seems the drive still not working properly it seems.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I don't think this thread is working properly.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The external hard drive does not show up in disk utilities, the one for the iMac does, macintosh. The only other thing thats shows up is "Decrypted File .dmg This is the second time the icon has disappeared. I thought everything was working fine. I have to go back to work, I will check back when I get home. Thanks for all the help.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the drive show up in Disk Utility??

But this thread seems a bit bizarre with the problems going on for over three weeks now and forty posts and it seems the drive still not working properly it seems.

No it doesn't show up. This thread may be 3 weeks old but this problem just started yesterday, until that time I thought everything was running fine. I also just checked WD Drive Utilities and it told me to Attach a supported WD drive which has been attached since I bought it 2 months ago. I guess I just need to return it to Best Buy and get a new one. The icon has disappeared before, post #34 on 8-19 but I just unplugged and replugged it and that fixed it. Very sorry for all the confusion.

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

Sounds like the drive died. It happens.

Small suggestion: When you have a new problem like this, it's better to start a new thread than to bury it at the end of a long thread, even if the topic is similar. "TL;DR" applies here.

EDIT: Ok, the board wants to convert T-L-;-D-R into an emoticon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like the drive died. It happens.

Small suggestion: When you have a new problem like this, it's better to start a new thread than to bury it at the end of a long thread, even if the topic is similar. "TL;DR" applies here.

EDIT: Ok, the board wants to convert T-L-;-D-R into an emoticon.

I got to thinking that I should have started a new thread, I can see how the confusion came about. Getting ready to go get a new drive now. Thanks

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last post, took the hard drive to Quincy yesterday and they checked it and it was working fine so they placed the blame on the computer. I came home and while I was waiting to talk to Apple Care I plugged the external hard drive in and it showed up like nothing was wrong. The Apple Care guy said it could have a bad cord, loose connection. Anyhow everything seems to be OK. I am sorry about causing all the confusion on this thread. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice to hear thanks and let's hope it keeps working for a good long time. ;)

BTW: I purchased two 2.5" USB enclosures a couple of year ago and neither one worked with a known good drive(s) installed. The company sent me two replacement USB cables, and no difference.

I finally grabbed a cable I'd picked up for our camera from our local Dollar Den Store and the usb enclosure and drive worked just fine thank you. It even had a ferrite choke filter if it made the difference, and all for about $3.50cdn.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.