External Hard Drive not responding

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro and about a year old external hard drive that was working perfectly fine last nite untill today. I tried inserting it into my laptop and it wouldnt mount. i noticed disk utility recognized it so i tried repairing the disk...that led to an error that told me to backup my stuff and then restore the drive. After that message, my external mounted to my desktop. I tried opening it but its going EXTREMELY slow. Takes about 15 minutes just to open a folder. I then read up on diskwarrior so i decided to ttry that out. The first time i tried it, it was telling me "directory cannot be rebuilt, the file system is unsupported" It's formated NTFS but i installed drivers on my mac to allow read/write capabilities

please, all help is greatly appreciated i have a lot of important files that i really NEED

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the external drive is formatted to NTFS, I suggest attaching it to a Windows machine. Then, from the Windows machine open a Command Prompt and type the following: chkdsk /f and add the letter which the external drive is using, probably D or E. If the drive can't be repaired by check disk, it might be defective.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.