External hard drive not accessible after plugging in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 3.4, 32gb ram, 1tb hd, 10.15,7
I have just bought 2 Toshiba Canvio Flex 4TB Portable External Hard Drives & when plugged in I get a can't be read message & the choices to Initialize, ignore, or Eject. They show in Disk Utility as not mounted. Any idea what I can do to get them to work? I've restarted a number of times & they still don't work.
I have a Imac 27" late 2013, 3.4 Quad i5.
Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Typically that message occurs when an external drive is formatted so that the Mac cannot read without third-party software. Since these are new drives and don't have anything on them that you need to, When Disk utility launches, you can format the drive to something your Mac can use. Choose Initialize.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Point of information: All Toshiba drives come pre-formatted to NTFS which is a Windows file system. As our Moderator Slydude states, you will need to reformat them to a Mac file system.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good point, Charlie. It has been a while since I bought a Toshiba drive, so I didn't realize they were doing that with all their drives.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They won't mount to be reformatted. How do I reformat if they won't mount?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
In Disk Utility, click on "View" and then "Show All Devices." The drives should show in the left column with their hardware names, probably with Toshiba in the name. Select that hardware level, then "Partition" on the top menu, give a name, use APFS format and GUID partition scheme. Let it format. At the end you will have a drive formatted APFS that will mount as whatever name you gave it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
when plugged in I get a can't be read message & the choices to Initialize, ignore, or Eject.

Choose "Initialise", then follow the directions given. The Drive should then mount and you can follow the wise advice given above.

If that doesn't work, there may be a fault with the Drive. It can happen straight "out of the box".

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all your help, I've got them to mount & get reformatted, now they sometimes show, sometimes don't show in finder & disk utility. That may be the usb hub, or the computer itself given the age. Oh well. I'll do a restart & see what that does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That may be the usb hub,
Most likely. Is the hub powered? It should have it's own power supply if you are going to attach drives through it. Otherwise you can overload the power demand on the USB port on the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.