External drive problem after upgrade

Reaction score
I cloned a drive in my wifes macbook using disk utility. Everything went ok on the mac and everything got switched over fine to her new ssd and all copied over, installed with everything working. The external drive i used to clone now cant be seen or reformatted to reuse the drive again.I can only see the drive in disk utility in recovery mode but the important stuff is greyed out. Any help is appreciated in getting this drive back. mac.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

Couple of obvious suggestions and then some questions.

Did you try to reboot and see if the drive appears? Have you tried closing Disc Utility and then re-opening it to see if the drive appears?

Now the questions: What mac, what version of the OS, what is the objective of this clone project?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Disconnect the drive, restart the Mac. Open Disk Utility, then connect the drive.

Edit: Also, make sure you have selected “Show all devices”, under the View menu.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Couple of obvious suggestions and then some questions.

Did you try to reboot and see if the drive appears? Have you tried closing Disc Utility and then re-opening it to see if the drive appears?
yes it did not appear., Yes tried closing it a bunch of times and reopening it, drive still does not appear unless you go into recovery mode. The picture shows what i see in recovery mode.

Now the questions: What mac, what version of the OS, what is the objective of this clone project?
Its an external drive that i need to reformat to use on something else. The version is Catalina, the clone was already done.The drive is new used to move laptop to new ssd, which everything has been done already. I just need the drive useable.I think im going to try Ubuntu and see if it sees it and if i can reformat it.

OP
M
Reaction score
So i came to the conclusion that disk utility is not seeing the drive. I did your steps with the drive unplugged and once plugged in it doesnt pop up even with a close and open of disk utility. I think the part im seeing is the image for the mac i am using to try and look at the drive. I also do not have the view option to show all drives. Im going to to try Ubuntu and see if it sees the drive and try to do it that way.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@MataLeo

Are you saying the in Disk Utility (DU), you don't have this view option?

S1.jpg

If not, try this: with DU open, go up to the top menu bar , Click on View > Show All Devices

Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 9.22.08 am??.png

See if that works.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you for your prompt and honest reply. Well, I'm at a loss as to why Disk Utility (DU) doesn't offer this. As far back as I can recall, that feature has been present. Even as far back as Snow Leopard.

I'm sorry that I can't come up with a solution.:sd

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@MataLeo, are you logged in as a Admin account? I think only Admin accounts can make changes to drives, hence the grey.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
@MataLeo, are you logged in as a Admin account? I think only Admin accounts can make changes to drives, hence the grey.
I'm not logged in as an Admin user, but I can still change the View options.

I think you are going to need to change Permissions on the drive, Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac - Apple Support. Be sure to select the gear icon and choose "apply to all sub folders and files". Since you are doing this in the startup drive, it will take a while to complete.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.