External Display on Late 2008 Macbook core 2 duo 2.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2008 Macbook 2.4 Core 2 duo 8G Of Ram 240G OWC SSD
Is there not a way to use an external display through the mini display port and NOT mirror it with the macbook display? Either by headless ( as iff I could close the top and still use the external display/mouse/keyboard or at least turn off the macbook screen as when I want to use certain software that is very cpu intensive and it's required to run on both displays, it gets pretty choppy. (Certain video in HD etc) Whenever I run my Chromecast I can play high end HD video on my big flatscreen using my macbook and still work on my macbook, or play a different video on my macbook with no problem but if I use the mini display port and mirror it, it basically unusable for hd video. Anyway, Is there anything I can do?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there not a way to use an external display through the mini display port and NOT mirror it with the macbook display?

Sure..this is called extended desktop mode.

Either by headless ( as iff I could close the top and still use the external display/mouse/keyboard or at least turn off the macbook screen...

Sure…this is called clamshell mode.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.