External cd drive

Reaction score
A basic question from an imac newbie! My internet speed is nigh on non-existent at the moment so downloads are a non-starter. Can anybody recommend a decent cd drive that is compatible with my new mac? Youngsters would like to play games too!!!

C

chas_m

I don't think there's been a compatibility issue with external CD/DVD drives and Macs since the mid-aughts, unless you're talking Blu-ray drives.

For conventional CD/DVD burners, you can pretty much buy anything that works with USB 2 or later and just plug it in. It won't show up on the desktop as an item in an of itself, but when you put a disc in the disc will show up on the desktop.

I've used off-brands and name brands to equal effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I have the Apple Super Drive that I use with my Mac Mini. If I was doing things over again, I would get a different one. I went with this one only because I was new to Macs and wanted to be sure of compatibility. I have an old external IDE enclosure that I plugged a random DVD reader/writer into and get equal or faster performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
A basic question from an imac newbie! My internet speed is nigh on non-existent at the moment so downloads are a non-starter. Can anybody recommend a decent cd drive that is compatible with my new mac? Youngsters would like to play games too!!!

Hi RobC.... - I also use an Apple SuperDrive but cheaper options are available. Also, you might want to tell us about your system - iMac model/year, storage, RAM, etc. Difficult to really make recommendations when you've left us in the dark - just saying. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.