External Blu-Ray for iMac

Reaction score
Can anyone suggestion a decent Blu-ray for an iMac 2019? I am considering the OWC Mercury Pro Blu-ray or the Pioneer BDR-XD05B Blu-Ray. I am not sure if there are other models that are Mac friendly that I should consider. I prefer not to use a slot load drive because I had so many problems with ejects discs in my old 2011 iMac.

Also, is there a performance advantage and / or difference between a drive that is USB powered versus a AC Adapter?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
As far as USB vs AC powered devices, I believe the advantage is for which machine(s) they will be used with? A desktop, should use an AC powered unit, and a laptop, should use a USB powered unit. That's just my perspective.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Even when used with a portable computer I'd opt for a drive that at least has the option to use an external power supply. Here's my reasoning: Some USB powered drives seem to only work reliably when connected to two usb ports simultaneously. These same drives often work perfectly well from one USB port if they are connected to the external power source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Even when used with a portable computer I'd opt for a drive that at least has the option to use an external power supply.

+1!!!

- Patrick
======

OP
P
Reaction score
The device would be used with an 2019 iMac. The OWC unit uses an AC adapter for power and USB connection for data transfers. I notice the OWC uses an LG mechanism. Are LG peripherals any good? I never used them before.

I am also, trying to figure out the USB requirements for the Pioneer drive. I think if you have USB 3.0, then you use just need a single connection. If you have USB 2.0, you need to use two USB ports. Is USB 3.0 just adequate or more than adequate for drive performance?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am also, trying to figure out the USB requirements for the Pioneer drive. I think if you have USB 3.0, then you use just need a single connection. If you have USB 2.0, you need to use two USB ports. Is USB 3.0 just adequate or more than adequate for drive performance?

It depends on the drive and to some extent whether the connection is USB 2 or 3. I have two external drives; one is a Samsung, the other is LG. I find that with the Samsung I generally have to use a double connection from my iMac USB 3 ports whereas with the LG, one connection will usually suffice.

The best advice is what you already received and that is buy a drive that will operate both from USB and AC power. There really is no point in over tasking the USB 3 ports of your iMac if you can help it.

Reaction score
I don't mean to sound too juvenile, but I once answered a very similar question about Blu-Ray players for the Mac, and I was told that I was engaging in a discussion about illegal matters and I was issued a demerit (or whatever it is that one is issued here). Why is it now okay for everyone to talk about Blu-Ray players (which were never illegal for the Mac to begin with)?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you happen to remember the context of the thread Randy?

It would seem to me that this s important. I've always taken the view that discussion of Blu-Ray players (hardware) was legit because a member could use that hardware for legit purposes (such as backing up one's music library). There are some discussions which would likely be shut down quickly such as someone seeking advice on ripping copy-protected content.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just checked our data base for Randy's profile and see that one alert was issued some time ago. Nothing other than that showed up and why it was issued was not stated. I removed it from the data base. Randy has certainly proved to be one of our leading contributors and has been a valuable member of these forums for a number of years.

As for the mention of Blu Ray players and backing up of one's data or legally purchased videos and music, I will leave that up to someone (Randy) who is more knowledgeable about that than I am. The only time we will warn folks is when it's obvious they are engaged or about to be engaged in an illegal activity. Namely, piracy.

Reaction score
Do you happen to remember the context of the thread Randy?

It's been a long time, so I don't remember much of it. Someone asked something that seemed completely innocuous, like whether or not a Mac could be set up to play Blu-Ray disks, and I recall that I gave a completely innocuous answer. So it shocked me that I was treated like an outlaw for my answer.

If anyone would tend to be adverse to wading into illegal matters, it would be me. Except possibly to explain why they are illegal.

It would seem to me that this s important. I've always taken the view that discussion of Blu-Ray players (hardware) was legit because a member could use that hardware for legit purposes (such as backing up one's music library). There are some discussions which would likely be shut down quickly such as someone seeking advice on ripping copy-protected content.
If nothing else, Blu-Ray players are legit to play commercial Blu-Ray disks. Just because Apple decided to skip Blu-Ray technology doesn't make it illegal to use with a Mac.

There's nothing wrong with using Blu-Ray as a backup medium per se. The law makes it legal to rip one backup of a legitimately purchased copyrighted copy of digital material, but the DMCA arguably makes that single legal backup illegal if one has to defeat copy protection to do it. So it is likely not legal to use Blu-Ray to backup your Blu-Ray disks, but it should be fine to use Blu-Ray as a long term backup medium for downloaded material with or without copy protection as long as you are not defeating the copyright protection in the process.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to agree with Charlie. I certainly can't see anything wrong with that post.

Thanks for reminding us about the ins/outs of ripping backup copies of discs. When I wrote the post I had no intention of opening up that can of worms. Unlike you I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV :) Music libraries were just the first example that occurred to me. I also have a number of video files on Blu-Ray. They take up fewer discs that way. None of it is copyrighted material but I don't need them often enough to have them taking up hard drive space.

Is there any hope that provision of the DMCA might be modified any time soon?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Probably not. However, trying to enforce it on individuals is pretty much an impossible task. PC World, Mac World, MacLife, have all written articles about what can be copied for personal use and backing up one's legally purchased music CDs, and movies.

But as Randy stated, it is illegal to break the encryption that's used when copying or backing up legally purchased media.

Reaction score

The music and film companies lobbied REALLY hard for that provision. Unless some other group with similar money and voting power pushes back against it, it's not going to change.

Reaction score
I just checked our data base for Randy's profile and see that one alert was issued some time ago. Nothing other than that showed up and why it was issued was not stated. I removed it from the data base.

Again, I don't want to seem too juvenile...but in my "Settings" it still shows as "Latest Warnings Received." Of course, it was like 8 years ago.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The music and film companies lobbied REALLY hard for that provision. Unless some other group with similar money and voting power pushes back against it, it's not going to change.
Wasn't really expecting it to change but it can't hurt to ask right.:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again, I don't want to seem too juvenile...but in my "Settings" it still shows as "Latest Warnings Received." Of course, it was like 8 years ago.

Check your settings again Randy. I found another area in our data base which was hidden in a cascading menu. I cleared it. And thanks for bringing our attention to it.

Reaction score
Check your settings again Randy. I found another area in our data base which was hidden in a cascading menu. I cleared it. And thanks for bringing our attention to it.

Hurray! The Scarlett Letter has been removed from my lapel!

I can now die from the Coronavirus with a clear conscience. :)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Can anyone suggestion a decent Blu-ray for an iMac 2019? I am considering the OWC Mercury Pro Blu-ray or the Pioneer BDR-XD05B Blu-Ray. I am not sure if there are other models that are Mac friendly that I should consider. I prefer not to use a slot load drive because I had so many problems with ejects discs in my old 2011 iMac.

Also, is there a performance advantage and / or difference between a drive that is USB powered versus a AC Adapter?

I use one of these and have been for some years now. LG BP06LU10: Blu-ray™ Disc Rewriter | LG USA

It’s great. Does everything I want it to do.+ There’s is even software to download to use the light scribe. (+ except for Stereoscopic 3D but I understand that is due to limitations in MacOS**. So I use Playstation).

I think LG still make super blue externals. Try googling LG Super blue. lg super multi blue slim portable blu-ray rewriter - Google Search

Recommend partnering the drive with Roxio’s Toast CD/DVD/Blu-Ray authoring software. Make such you get the Pro version for Blu-Ray though.

**Check out NCH Videopad for editing 3D movies or Stereomerger for editing 3D stills.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.