• Welcome to the new Mac-Forums. See News and Community Announcements for more details.

External Blu-Ray for iMac

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, Numerous iPods, Catalina
I use one of these and have been for some years now. LG BP06LU10: Blu-ray™ Disc Rewriter | LG USA
Looks like that particular BR by LG has been discontinued.

Also, I'm not so sure how useful BR is nowadays. I suppose you can still buy commercial BR Movies but personally I don't see spending the extra $$ on the BR version when the standard version is about as good as far as viewing is concerned.

I do think a good BR writer is useful for archiving personal data; perhaps personal photo libraries and large collections of other things. The problem that one can run into is when trying to archive a collection of commercially purchased movies or music. The DMCA law here in the US specifically prevents one from breaking the encryption process during copying.

Laws vary from country to country. So it's always a good idea to check first before making a copy.

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. The ability to make rewritable Blu rays I will miss now that Toast 10 no longer works under Catalina. It is galling.

Maybe give the free Burn.app a try:
Burn for Mac - Free Download Version 2.7.8 | MacUpdate a try

User comments there says it works in Catalina 10.15.x

PS: FWIW, In my own experience, Burn.app has always worked better and more reliable than my old version of Toast.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
Burn launches under Catalina. Haven't burned discs recently but i'm pretty sure it works.

Reaction score
Thanks. Toast 10 has this app that makes blu-rays into multi-session discs. Does Burn do that too? I’m wondering if the latest Toast still has that. I didn’t see it mentioned. But I may have missed it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, Numerous iPods, Catalina
I know that "Burn" does multi-session with CDs and DVDs but have no idea if that will work for BR? Usually, multi-session is accomplished by leaving the media open and then writing to it again. At one time, macOS did not allow for multi-sessioning but that was changed later on.